jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Radishes coming on....

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/radish_2010.jpg[/img]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

looking great, Jal! Just harvest my first bundle yesterday.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

My radishes did the oddest thing this year. I planted them April 26, and by May 10, they still hadn't come up. I'm 99.99% certain they were well watered; the soil felt good and moist.

I was just thinking about what I might put in there instead, and we got 6" of wet, heavy snow, probably on May 13. It melted in a couple of days, and within 48 hours, most of the radishes were up. They're all up now, but I still think that's about as weird as it gets. Were it not for the seeds' stubborn refusal to germinate, I'd have radishes right about now, too :x

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nice looking radishes there Jal. :D

Stella maybe give them some more time. They should have come up by now but you never know. I broadcasted radish seed everywhere a few months ago and I am still finding new sprouts. Though the majority have already been picked.

Note to self don't do that again. Really they are everywhere. :lol:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Jal, two questions:

(1) Who takes pictures of you with your produce. Good shots!!
(2) Do you wear camo for comfort? I have some camo shirts that I just love to wear, when nothing is in season.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My 8 year old grandson took this photo. Sometimes my wife takes the photos.

Camo? Funny you would ask. I used to do a lot of hunting. It was hard to find a decent camo shirt. Occasionally some Army surplus stuff would show up at surplus stores, but I could never find one that fit. Then someone must have figured out the need, (about six years ago), and started making some nice cotton poly blend shirts, long sleeved, button up and with pockets. I found some at Cal Ranch and some at Cabelas. These shirts are very comfortable and durable. I guess I went overboard after a dearth of decent shirts to an abundance. I bought several and wear them all the time. I just like them. Just stay clear of the 100% cotton ones, unless you like to iron your shirts.

I see a lot of camo around here, even women and little kids wear it. Maybe I am in style?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You are so trendy Jal. :P :lol:

Zapatay

Ohh Camoflaugh! I was having a difficult time seeing you.

They are lovely - I munch on my jalepeno and radish salad at least twice a week. Those look great!

How horrible am that I TOTALLY forgot to plant my radishes. :evil: :roll:

ugh - I think I'm too late - and I have a print out of the Jal instructions from earlier in the year on my fridge!

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Very nice radishes. I put a few seeds between tomatoes, hoping that they will be ready by the time tomatoes shade them out, but my timing was off - they are in the jungle now :oops: . Well, to tell you the truth I even forgot about them. Now that you've reminded me, I have to put my hands and see if they are alive there in the shade.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I can plant radishes all season here. They do well as long as I keep the soil damp. If it dries out they bolt. Our days are mostly below 90. I don't know how well they would do if your temps approach 100. Zapatay, you are far enough North that they may grow for you if planted now.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

I planted radish about 4 to 6 weeks ago and I now see big red ones sitting almost on top of the soil. should I pull them up? will there be bunches connected under the soil or will each leaf group have only the one I can see above the soil? I'm SCARED to pull one up!! I know its silly but it's my first time. Wish I had planted more. Was trying not to over plant but may have come up short since only about four plants actually grew from the seeds I planted. can I start a new batch? I'm in maryland, and its early june.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, it sounds like it is time to harvest. Each roseate of leaves has only one root attached. If you don't harvest now, they will soon bolt and when they do the roots get tough.

I can't say if you will have luck there growing radishes in June. It can be done here. It doesn't cost you much to try. Just keep them damp.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

thank you! I shall be having radish for dinner tomorrow!!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure, but I think that the greens of radish seedlings are actually edible.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:I'm not sure, but I think that the greens of radish seedlings are actually edible.
Some things may be edible, but not necessarily palatable. The radish leaf is one of those things, along with okra, dandelions, and Brussels sprouts.

sjohnson9206

Nice Jal!

I've got about 50% of my radishes out, and the rest need to come out... I need to bring them into work as I'm the only one who likes them at home and can only eat so many...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Cherry Belle is still the best variety for this area. I planted some Watermelon Radishes, They had nice beautiful foliage, but never made any kind of a root for eating. So I called them mulch.

timberjet

I have giant radishes at 5500 feet and they are the same size as my cherry belles. We had one heck of A cold spring here in southern Idaho (it froze night before last), and now it is up to 80 in the day. Went from 25 to 80 in twelve hours. Do you think I could plant some more in the wet part of my garden and get another harvest jal? We must be in similar climates and fairly close.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

This has been a good year for radishes with all the rain and cool weather. I just planted some more on June 17, so I am optimistic. I have had good luck planting radishes anytime as long as I watch and keep them damp. If they dry out in hot weather, they will bolt. Another thing that helps the roots to develop early is to spread the seed out. I have been lndividually planting seed 2 inches apart. When I do that every seed gets a good root. It takes a little time but is worth it. Turnips and beets respond favorably to elbow room too.

From 25 to 80 in 12 hours? Welcome to the high mountain desert. Yes, conditions can change very rapidly at these elevations. We missed that frost two days ago by 2 degrees. Just the way the wind blew I think.
Last edited by jal_ut on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

timberjet

500 feet=2 degrees I would figure. Everything looks fine though and I think I will throw some more cherry belle seeds in after this T-storm goes through. I also sew 2 inches apart in stars in my kitchen potager garden. Beets get thinned as they grow but I think I will take your advice on those next year as they seem to be languishing A bit.

Sharpy

:eek: Wow! jal_ut now those are some nice radishes!!!!!

I have planted tons or radishes this year and have not got squat!!! They al have root that look like a pencil....

I have tried several varieties, at various time in the year, I grow then in full sun in a raised bed, the bed is filled with the "Mels Mix" from the "Square Foot Gardening" book, I keep them watered.....Still nadda dang radish yet!!!

Any tips you can offer jal_ut??????

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”