jmoore

Marigolds?

I bought 3 small marigolds this weekend. I have one bed with all tomatos and another bed with a variety of stuff in it. These beds are not close to each other. Is there a better bed to put these in?

the greenest

it dosnt really matter as long as you space them correctly

soil
Greener Thumb

plant them with the tomatoes, they are friends.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have marigolds as a border to my tomatoes.

Just a heads up they are easy to start form seed for next year.

jmoore

tomato bed it is then!

noted on starting them from seed next year.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

OK, I'm finally getting the nerve to ask . . . how do you find the seeds in all these plants? I've only ever purchased seeds, but would like to use my own next year. I feel really DUMB. But Marigold seeds? how do you find them? I have a ton of huge beautiful marigolds in full bloom in my veggie garden. Would love to get the seeds. Would also like to get the seeds from my cucumbers, peppers, etc. Do really actually just take the seeds from inside the fruits and then what? The tomato seeds inside the tomatoes too? Or am I looking for seeds from the flowers of the veggies? OK, so horticulture and all that junk, I slept through. :oops:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

When the flower heads dry, snap the whole bud off. Hold the stem end with 2 fingers and with your other hand, pull the dried petals out of the stem end. The seeds should pull out of the stem side. They look kind of like flat wild rice. The dried petals can be removed from the seed very easily. I then sprinkle them out on a plate and let them finish drying for a week. Then I put them in a little paper envelope.

And I have loads of mixed frenchies if anybody wants some. This year's are some of the best I've ever grown! Very pretty colors.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

I'll take some! po box 2730, silver spring, md 20915. How much do you want for them?

And thanks for the tip on how to get the seeds!
And I have loads of mixed frenchies if anybody wants some. This year's are some of the best I've ever grown! Very pretty colors.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Garden Gal wrote:I'll take some! po box 2730, silver spring, md 20915. How much do you want for them?

And thanks for the tip on how to get the seeds!
No charge, just send me a stamped envelope to:

sent you a private message with my address :)

Darceyoh

oooooh. I'll have to do that with my marigolds and other flowers. I've never actually taken the seeds from the plants before. Exciting!!!! :D :D :D :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”