Dixana
Greener Thumb

Favorite varieties?

So I have now acclumulated several different seed catalogs. All beautiful, all different, and all showing a million different varieties for almost every plant there is!!
This has lead me to start planning next years garden (don't even look at me funny you darn well know you're all doing the same thing!)
This was the first year I planted anything from seed and I'm addicted! Next winter I'm starting everything from seed, I'm already collecting containers anf lights and tables.......
Anyway, I want to know what your favorite variety is and why.
Which eggplant tastes best/produces best? Which nasturtiams look prettiest? What tomatoes are your favorite for salsa, sauce, just to eat? Have you tried different watermelons? Are the cream/orange/pink fleshed ones as good or better than red?
There are SO MANY different varieties out there and I'm having a hard time deciding what I'm going to do next year!
Keep in mind this is ALSO the first year I planted anything different than the generic stuff sold at the big box stores and the big city nurseries who don't have much variety either, so I'm beyond overwhelmed!!!

nes
Green Thumb

Most seed companies have a 'best selection' or 'best choice' highlighted in their seed catalogues, I think that can be very helpful :). Also go with a description of the variety that best suits your needs, whether you want an early harvest, long storage or crisp taste.

I'd order as many seed catalogues as you can find then determine which is going to give you the best value for the variety of seeds you want (and that may mean ordering from 2 different companies). Include shipping in your equation :).

I plan my garden YEARS in advance... but for now we're planning on moving next summer so I'm trying to limit myself to just this year & next :).

GL!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

This has lead me to start planning next years garden (don't even look at me funny you darn well know you're all doing the same thing!)
If I can't look at you funny, then Pepper will.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Garden2008065-2.jpg[/img]

I'll add a favorite list tomorrow. :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I know just how you feel. At first, you go to grocery store and all you see is a sign that reads "Tomatoes," then you go to the nursery and you see "clebrity," "big boy," "supersonic," and then you go online or open a catalog and----well, you know what I mean.

One thing you can do is look for a variety that has been classified as an "All American Selection." These are varieties that grow well, yield good, and are interesting in some respect. Rainbow Swill Chard is a good example.

Happy planning!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Dixana wrote:Anyway, I want to know what your favorite variety is and why.
Thanks for starting this thread. I find myself doing the same thing with gardening and deer hunting. While hunting I am planning next years stands and food plots. While gardening I am planning next years seed, top soil enhancement, and garden layout. I will follow this thread with interest.

Last year I orderd all different kind of tomato seeds....Belgium this, Early that, Cherry this, what I thought was Brandywine, etc. I planted them all and got VARIED results, and, overall, not a good tomato crop. I had way too many of the ones that did not taste as good as I was used to growing.

This year I bought Celebrity and Better Boy, which, I hope, will produce the best tomatoes--Celebrity all at once, and Better Boy take me into the first frost. Just in case I have varied my planting so that I have young plants coming along. Also, I ordered Brandywine from the same place that I had good luck before (Monticello)

Cerbiesmom

I've just started and am in the same boat as the OP. I have no idea what kind of anything I like. I just know I like fresh produce over anything I've ever had from the store. I'll be ordering from a catalog for my spring planting. I'm excited

applestar
Mod

Remember that performance and sometimes even flavor is region/climate dependent. But it will be interesting to hear what people like to grow.

Here are my criteria:

‣ Seed nursery reasonably within or close to my geographic and/or climate area for adapted seeds
‣ Heirloom first, Open Pollinated next, because I want to save the seeds to grow
‣ Very good to Excellent flavor (why bother growing mediocre?)
‣ Days to maturity
- Disease resistance
- Organic or Untreated seeds

I don't have many favorites yet because I'm still experimenting myself.

So far, I like Jade bush beans, Purple Podded pole beans.

Tomatoes are still under trial as are Peppers. Having trouble nailing down the peas and carrots, partly because the kids tell me THIS ONE TASTES THE BEST after I harvest them and mix them together. :roll: I'm hoping to figure out which one they're saying they like the flavor of the most.

Lettuce -- Red Glacier is a good iceberg, though DH prefers the completely green one called Summertime -- it gets RIDDLED by slugs though :x. Red Sails grows well and is least bothered by slugs, but family's flavor score is equally low :lol:. Red lettuces in general are less bothered by bugs and I like Red Cross (bibb type soft) and Magenta (crisp). Oh, one variety that has made the "list" is Oakleaf lettuce. It selfseeded and the soft looseleaf has been pronounced THE ONLY ONE I LIKE by DD11 8)

I'm sure I have others to add but can't think of any right now. :roll:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/GARDEN.pdf]My List[/url]

I have to add Celebrity Tomatoes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”