nes
Green Thumb

Mutant Chive?

[img]https://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/knitness/Garden/DSC_0015.jpg[/img]

Should I be worrying my soil may be radio-active?

[img]https://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/knitness/Garden/DSC_0018.jpg[/img]

The little extra bit was originally encased in a budding flower sort of cover until it burst out yesterday.

Very strange!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Did you get some Egyptian onions by chance?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I think you have a snake living in those chives.

applestar
Mod

jal_ut wrote:Did you get some Egyptian onions by chance?
Is THAT what they look like?
I planted Egyptian onion sets last fall, but I've no idea where now (I planted them all over). I'm pretty sure some of them did grow and some didn't where I thought I planted them. I also planted multiplier onions, scattered 2 different kinds of onion seeds, and planted some of my own onion seedlings, AND planted 2 different kinds of onion sets, oh, as well as planting the onion bottoms and shallots I grew in containers over the winter. (and remember I don't grow in rows... :roll:) I also have Chinese Leeks (which I think might be same as Garlic Chives) and the native Nodding Onions, but fortunately I DO know where those are planted. :() Oh, that reminds me, I have seedlings of two kinds of LEEKS to plant as well. :lol:

I think I'll be on a look-out for curlie-cue scapes, and if I see them, I'm going to stick labels marked "Egyptian Onion" next to them. :wink:

nes
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Did you get some Egyptian onions by chance?
Hmmm, maybe? I think this plant was here before we move but I thought it was a chive. :shock:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Chives have pretty violet blossoms about 1 1/4 inch round. I will put up a picture when mine bloom.

Watch that onion and if it is getting little bulbils on top, you have an Egyptian Walking Onion.

Timlin

jal-ut you are the only person I've ever seen on line that has a later season than mine. Our chives are just ready to fade now........

[img]https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a309/Jean_1962/ChivesJune3cropped.jpg[/img]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I didn't get and flowers on my chives last year. I'm wondering, do you have to refrain from picking the chives in order to have flowers?

Thanks.

Timlin

Garden5 I've never cut mine enough to know. I always get flowers but I rather grow mine as a flower rather than an onion. Try one of your clusters next year where you don't cut it and see what happens.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My chives are just opening up. The bees like them.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/chives_bee.jpg[/img]

nes
Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:I didn't get and flowers on my chives last year. I'm wondering, do you have to refrain from picking the chives in order to have flowers?

Thanks.
Not at all.

I cut mine back at least 25% right before they flowered & it made no difference.

However, I have a very well established plant that would actually benefit from a little more pruning :)

Timlin

I take it you cut selectively and didn't cut the flower stock when you were using yours just before they bloomed nes?

The flower stock is definitely different in texture and feel than the chive 'leaf' stems so it should be easy to prune around the forming flower stocks.

nes
Green Thumb

Yes I was selective but I also took off a few flower stalks. It REALLY needed a hair-cut

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Good news, I have a flower stalk in the chives with a bud on the tip :o! I guess my problem was I used to accidentally pick the flowers in the process of harvesting.

Timlin

Way good Garden5.........another gardening mystery solved and from now on you'll have wonderful flowers. Making pretty vinegars in pretty jars is fun with the flowers from chives too!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”