jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Planting Tomatoes

Now that Memorial Day is past and there is no frost in the 5 day forecast, I think I will dare to plant my tomatoes out. It is also time to plant cantaloupe and cucumbers. I know this will sound weird for you folks in Georgia, but we had a frost two days ago. I have been moving my tomatoes into the shed every night and out in the morning.

It has been a cool rainy season this year. I got some early stuff planted in April, and some corn in May, but it has been too wet most days to get out in the garden and weed. I am going to have some catching up to do.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

We go through the "put the tomatoes plants in, put the tomatoes plants out, and then worry all about" routine also, just at a different time of the year. Good luck, and keep those cover buckets handy.

This year I had to use a tarp a few times for my beans and lettuce.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

My estimated last frost date is May 20. Last year the last frost was on May 18... a week after I planted my pepeprs. This year the last frost was in early May but the garden wasn't ready so I couldn't plant if I wanted to. I'm still putting some things in. Hopefully today will be the last of it. Some peppers will have to go into muddy clay though.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

I got my tomatoes out around April 8th, but they didn't grow much until May. I won't plant so early next year, because the possibility of a late frost was just too stressful.

EG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Catching up huh? I have tomatoes on my counter-top waiting to be eaten. But I still see you surpassing me somehow. :D

Sure I started a couple of moths ago but you can do it so well it blows my mind.

I can't wait to see your garden this summer.

have fun Jal.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, my average last frost is May 15, but I put some in the ground on May 1. I had some milk-jug cloches on them that saved them from the one frost that came. They are all doing good and there are even flowers on a few of them.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

We got down to 28 degrees on May 30. Out of desperation (plan ahead?), I had to plant my tomatoes on May 10 and wound up covering them every night but two. It's been a cold, cold May in Wyoming. A few nights they suffered frost damage despite the overturned containers and quilt over that. They're quickly recovering, though, and I am pretty excited at the thought of having tomatoes by the end of June!

Darn it, Gixx! You've got tomatoes on the counter already?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Today I got all my 40 tomato plants planted and 18 pepper plants.
It was an overcast day. Pleasant to be working in the garden.

kskwash
Newly Registered

I picked my first tomatoes last night. 20 little red cherry tomatoes ready to be eaten.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Have about 25 tomato plants in since Mid May. Started some black krim, mortgage lifter and the freebees from our hosts here at the helpful gardener. Put a half a dozen mortgage lifters and half a dozen krims in last night. Managed to get 3 black and brown boar and 1 tie-dye to poke up. Put 2 boar and the tie dye in last night as well.

I still have about 50 to stick in the ground of various varieties... 90% heirloom... Not sure I want that many tomatoes around as I am not sure I can get rid of them all later in the year.

kgall

I planted my tomatoes about a week ago. They are mostly triple in size already! It's been mostly in the 80s in the daytime and they have had several good waterings. Wow!

Back in April while I was potting up my tomatoes and peppers I had a tomato and a pepper that I didn't have room for and was going to throw out and as I was headed to the garbage with them I deciced to stick them in the pots in front of my house and haven't paid too much attention to them. Well I was out there today and miraculously they have survived probably a dozen or so frosts and, while being behind they are also triple their original size and they look great!! I am amazed!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”