Decado
Green Thumb

Pole Bean Germination Issues

For some reason I can only ever get about 60% of my pole beans to germinate, even if I soak the seeds for a day before I plant them. Is there some trick to getting a higher germination rate with beans or is that just how they are? FYI, I don't have germination problems with anything else in my garden, just beans.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hmm, were they store-bought seeds or were they home saved? Sometimes when you save your own, you will get some spotty germination. Also, if you have seed that is old or improperly stored you will get that. Is this just this year, or does this always happen?

GardenJester

how are you soaking the beans? The recommended method is sandwich the beans between two wet paper towels. if you are just soaking in water, it will breed bacteria, and kill your seeds.

Decado
Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Hmm, were they store-bought seeds or were they home saved? Sometimes when you save your own, you will get some spotty germination. Also, if you have seed that is old or improperly stored you will get that. Is this just this year, or does this always happen?
From the store and from johnnyseeds.com.
GardenJester wrote:how are you soaking the beans? The recommended method is sandwich the beans between two wet paper towels. if you are just soaking in water, it will breed bacteria, and kill your seeds.
Sandwiched between paper towels.

sciencegal

Pole beans are one of those few things that I don't have a problem with. I recently planted some rattlesnake beans that are three years old. They were kept in their envelope in my seed box in a cool cupboard. I planted 12 in a circle in a whiskey half barrel and 11 germinated. I noticed a few days ago that a few were coming up on their own in the spot where I planted them last year.

I also planted a barrel of Kentucky Blues a few days after the rattlesnakes which are just starting to come up. The seed packet instructions for the Kentucky Blues say to not soak the beans before planting.

Maybe you are planting them too deep or the soil isn't warm enough.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”