applestar
Mod

DD, put your reading glasses on :wink:
simply shelled and blanched in salted boiling water.... ...made a sort of Succotash -- Butter salted boiling water, frozen corn, shelled broad beans
I'm talking about the inner bean skin. What happens to the skin when you sautee? Do they get crispy or something? After blanching/boiling the skin is leathery.

Tedln, I remember seeing them at Whole Foods.

The interior of the pods are interesting. Such soft cushy cradle for the babies. :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Here is some information for Italian descents and others.

https://italianfood.about.com/od/vegetablesandsidedishes/ig/Frutta-e-Verdura/Fava-Bean-Pods.htm

One important thing to know about Fava Beans is that they can cause Favism, a serious form of anemia, in people who lack a blood enzyme and thus suffer from a condition called Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency, or G6PD. In Italy about 0.5% of the population suffers from Favism, though some Sardinian villages have peaks as high as 30%, as do some Greek villages and some African populations. Symptoms begin 12-48 hours after eating the beans, with the victim feeling tired and becoming pale and jaundiced. Should this happen, take the victim to the hospital!

katylaide
Cool Member

You can make felafels out of dry broad beans. I haven't tried it, but it seems like a good idea.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

DD, put your reading glasses on
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

What good would they do, apparently I can't read. :wink:

Carry on :P

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'll be you were thinking about "shelling" peas, weren't you DD? :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”