lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Onions/Garlic: What should I do?

I received some onion and garlic bulbs and planted them in my herb garden. They seem to be growing well, but I do not know what to do. When can I eat some? What is the best method to be sure they come back again next year? Here are some shots:

Garlic in herb garden

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/G2010May/G2010054.jpg[/img]

Onion in herb garden

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/G2010May/G2010053.jpg[/img]

and Onion in the garden

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/G2010May/G2010047.jpg[/img]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The garlic is ready when the lower leaves turn brown (about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total leaf number). The tops of the onions will fall over when the plant is close to ready.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The onion is one of those delightful plants that you can eat at any stage of its development. Pull them when small for green onions, or let it bulb and when the tops fall over, pull the bulb. If let to stay in the ground until next year it will flower. In the spring, you can start onions from seed, sets or plants.

Garlic is usually pulled in the fall. You can dry the bulbs and store them for later use. Separate the cloves on a few and plant the largest cloves in the fall for next years growth.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

In the Southern states like Alabama and Texas, Garlic is usually planted in the fall and harvested in the spring. If you planted garlic bulbs this spring, let them grow through the winter. I planted my onions in North Texas in January and I am harvesting some nice bulbs right now. The tops have all died back so I just use a small trowel and dig them as we need them.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:The onion is one of those delightful plants that you can eat at any stage of its development. Pull them when small for green onions, or let it bulb and when the tops fall over, pull the bulb. If let to stay in the ground until next year it will flower. In the spring, you can start onions from seed, sets or plants.

Garlic is usually pulled in the fall. You can dry the bulbs and store them for later use. Separate the cloves on a few and plant the largest cloves in the fall for next years growth.
Jal,

Do your Egyptian walking onions produce green tops all summer and then die back for the winter? I'm pretty sure they wouldn't keep green tops all summer in the Southern States, but I don't know.

Ted

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The Egyptian Walking onions send up leaves in the spring and then get bulbils on the tops of the leaves. They will eventually lay down and the bulbils will then take root and start to grow.

The leaves deteriorate over winter and they send up new growth in the spring. They do stay green here all summer, but it is a cooler climate I am sure.

The onions that overwinter in the ground will split in to two or more onions in the spring, so the cluster gets larger each year. I like to harvest the bulbils and plant them to grow green onions. You can plant them any time here and have a harvest in a couple of months. If fall planted you get early green onions.

You can harvest some of the larger onions, but they are rather tough. They do of course have the onion flavor and aroma if you need some for a soup.

The Lady I got the start from many years ago called them Forever Onions.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”