jfftilton
Newly Registered

Gardening gel

I read in Steve Solomons Gardening West of the Cascades that it is possible to plant seeds with a corn starch gel, mixing presprouted seeds in with the gel and then planting them with a pastry bag of sorts down the line. My questions are: first, does anyone know if the seeds have to be presprouted for this technique or can it be done with non-sprouted seed as well? Secondly has anyone tried this and liked it?

Thanks!

applestar
Mod

I've done something similar -- I think.
I used cooked cornstarch gel as glue to make valentine favors -- pink tissue streamers cut into hearts, dab of gel, a few flower seeds, top with the 2nd heart. Gave them away at my girls' Valentine Day Tea Party with planting instructions. Seeds were NOT presprouted.

I based this on instruction for making paper seed tape, which said to squeeze out a drop of seed-mixed gel along the tape according to desired planting distance.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I find this interesting, but it's not Peanut Brittle :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, if the gel hardened on the un-sprouted seeds, that could prevent the moisture for getting to them, which would keep them from sprouting.

However, I've never done this myself and don't know if this is the nature of this type of gel. This is the only reason I could see that they would have to be pre-sprouted.

gone cuttin

This really works for me with carrots. I heat 1 cup water with 1T. cornstarch in the microwave for 3 minutes, let it cool. Separate 1 sheet of paper towel, spoon some medium on towel till it is socked. Sprinkle seeds, put the other half paper towel back on and smush back together. Gently roll on rolling pin. Take to prepared garden bed and un-roll. Cover with top soil and keep moist till germination, usually about a week. If paper towel starts peeking through add more topsoil.

If you want I can post pictures of how good the germination.

I have added the medium to squashes, cucumbers and corn as the seeds were planted. Could not really tell that it made any difference.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”