Zapatay

Zone 5ers - What are you harvesting?

Are your sugar snaps ready to harvest?

Mine are tall - a few feet high - but no pods, yet...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Spinach, green onions and asparagus. The peas have a ways to go. It has been cool here.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

rootsy
Green Thumb

Some radishes ready and the swiss chard is just about there... Leaf lettuce also...

kgall

Radish and romaine as babies to thin them. My peas seem to have a way to go. The 90+ degrees we have had these couple days seems to be wilting them.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

It's odd, everyone talks about peas needing the early spring coolness and don't like the heat, etc, but it's been in the 90's here the last week and HUMID big time, yet my peas are growing like weeds! They went from being tiny ittle sprouts to almost a foot tall this week.
Could it the daily evening waterings?

malkore
Cool Member

My radishes should be ready this weekend. 2 of my tomatoes are blooming but still need to grow so i've been pinching those off.

first year gardening "for real" so I didn't plant any cooler weather crops this year, but I have grand plans for next year
Growing: brandwine heirloom toms & early girl toms, red bell peppers, cayenne, poblanos, 2 types of cukes, bush beans, peas, lettuce (seeded), and poultry herbs around the perimeter of the garden.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have harvested small potatoes, peas, small onions, lettuce, baby carrots, a baby tomato with more on the way and swiss chard oh and tons of radishes.

My peas have gone bonkers about 5 foot or more now we are in that 90 degree heat wave thingy as well. But they are still producing a bunch, but for how long?

I may as well forget cool crops from here on out it's summer baby, time to concentrate on those, the fall will be here in a bit so time to try again.
:D

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The zones turn into a patchwork around here so I flip a coin as to my zone, 5 or 6.

Lettuce, spinach, green onions, and the first strawberries of the season. I have some broccoli misbehaving so it will get pulled and eaten soon. My sugar snap peas are being duds this year thanks to moles.

JennyO
Newly Registered

The only things I've enjoyed from my garden so far are lettuce and rhubarb. My sugar peas are annoying me to no end, they are tall and beautiful, but no pods yet.

Didn't plant much yet, but will get out there this weekend and get all my seeds planted. I can't wait for my first tomato.

J

Zapatay

Jenny O - I'm in Grayslake/Gurnee area so our schedules will probably be the same. :)

My toms and pepper plants are going in, this weekend too :)

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Poeple who live close to me! :D I'm in Berlin, about 20-30 miles west of oshkosh.
And don't feel bad, my plants are still sitting on the back table waiting for me to decide what to do with the garden :?

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

So far, rhubarb and today... Strawberries!!

Also some green stuff for the rabbit: dandelions, rye grass, lettuce, arugula, broccolini, and mustard, oh and parsley.

supagirl277

Tomatoes, peppers, peas, lettuce, radishes, onions, carrots, zucchini, cantelope, and squash. :) And a bunch of herbs. basil, mint, parsley, and lemon balm.
~I learn as I go... I just wish that would I learn faster. :)
~Well at least I have my backups... nope they're dead too.
~Outdoor gardens are very good when you have a Bearded Dragon that can just chomp her fill when she's hungry.

nes
Green Thumb

Spinach & Arugula if the bugs hadn't got at it, probably could grab up some lettuce too but I want to let it get a *little* bit bigger :).
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

GardenJester

lots of chives, weed(real weed not marijuna), and one radish. :P

Should have some tomatoes soon, already have couple of clusters of flowers on the tomatoe plants.

supagirl277

edit: planting spinach, red potatoes, and something else to replace the half row of peas that were planted too deep :(

anything else i could plant in short rows??
~I learn as I go... I just wish that would I learn faster. :)
~Well at least I have my backups... nope they're dead too.
~Outdoor gardens are very good when you have a Bearded Dragon that can just chomp her fill when she's hungry.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've yet to start harvesting (except for the chives), but I'll be harvesting some radishes soon. You could try radishes in some short rows. You can get a pretty good harvest.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”