shaefins

Newly planted seeds and water requirements

Just planted seeds last night (cukes, summer squash, cilantro, yellow and green beans - YES, I know I'm late, :lol: ). Beds are raised, soil is a mix of compost, peat & vermiculite - tends to hold moisture well, except in the very top later, which seems to crust over easily.

We're heading out of town on Friday, returning Monday evening (prob. around 7 PM). According to weather.com, my watering needs are moderate on Fri & Sat, high on Sun & Mon. If I water deeply on Friday afternoon, do you think the seeds will make it through a hot, dry weekend? Highs in the 80s Sat, Sun & Mon. The only neighbor I could ask is also going away for the weekend.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

It's according to how deep your raised bed is. At 14" deep, I can go 5-7 days without watering - even in our heat.

EG

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I my opinion, Seeds have different watering requirements than established plants. From my experience, the seeds really need to stay moist until they have germinated and get a "foothold".

If I were in your situation, I would water well before I leave, and I would cover the seed bed with a light layer of grass clippings. You don't want the grass thick enough that it would "choke out" the bed... you want just enough of a grass layer to maintain moisture in the top layer of the soil.

Best of luck!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”