RuHappy69

Slug Removal?

What's the best 'stuff' I can use to remove these from my garden. I have a hunch they are the culprits that are eating my broccoli leaves..

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Hand picking is the best way but the little buggers are hard to find usually. They don't out during the day. Some people go out at dark with flashlights.

You could place a small piece of plywood or a stump or something like that and find them huddled underneath that early in the morning.

You can use sand or diatomaceous earth this will take care of them as well. Both of these products act as abrasives to them and cut them up and dehydrate them.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Rent some ducks? Or attract some birds - we have crows in our gardens, and even though they pull out new seedlings for fun and do other tricks, they do seem to take care of slugs pretty well.

RuHappy69

I put a birdhouse that I built up on the peak of the shed right over the garden so I'm sure there will soon be a few very hungry baby birds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Type in slugs or slug control in the search the forum feature. They have been discussed in great (and sometimes entertaining! :) )detail here already.

shadowsmom

Don't laugh, I've had a lot of success with beer placed in shallow containers. A few years ago my lilies were covered in slugs every morning. I tried hand picking but it was a really large number every day. I was skeptical about the beer but figured it was worth a try. The first morning I checked after putting the beer out I had over 50 slugs easily. Each morning the number went down after that. I used several containers scattered around the lilies.

RuHappy69

I have a few neighbors that might drink the beer if I leave it out... :lol:

RuHappy69

I put some beer in 3 shallow containers last night and this morning no slugs? Can you define shallow (in the container sense)? Are we talking plastic plate shallow or 2 inch high shallow?

shadowsmom

LOL - I used old mayonnaise jar lids and sunk them into the mulch so that the tops were ground level. I'm surprised you didn't have any - maybe not a good night for a slug stroll? I use Bud, they are cheap drinkers.

BTW - I'm Northern Central Jersey

kgall

Cheap drinkers would drink Milwaukee's best! :lol:
...Or Boone's farms wine!

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

[quote="gixxerific"]Hand picking is the best way but the little buggers are hard to find usually. They don't out during the day. Some people go out at dark with flashlights.

I thought we all did this...no?

EG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”