Lili
Newly Registered

Summer Squash growth question

Hello All!

I'm new to the gardening forum... so here goes.

I have started my first spring/summer garden (eight ball zucchini squash, peas and bush green beans) in a raised bed garden. It gets a considerable amount of shade from a large fig tree, but is in the sunniest part of the yard. I live in central california and our spring/summer so far has been very mild.

I planted the zuccchini from seed and it is got it's second set of leaves but they are a little bit yellow and not growing very big. I gave it a dose of liquid kelp fertilizer about a week ago.

I don't have any experience with zucchini, but does anyone know if this is normal and do the leaves get bigger as the plant grows more?

Thanks so much! Lindsay

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener, Lili :o! Stick around here, ask questions (even if you think they may sound dumb), and you will learn more than you ever thought about gardening.

To answer you question, I'd give them time. Once they get going, zucchini grow like wildfire and you will find yourself with huge plants.

Oh, and one last thing, if you ever want to find some quick info without taking the time to post a question, you can use the "search forum" feature. There's some real gardening gold that it can uncover.

Great luck with your garden.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Lili,

The leaves of the zucchini will definitely grow larger as the plant continues to grow. The yellowing of the leaves indicates excessive watering (probably from rain) - as zucchini squash is probably the most moisture sensitive thing I grow each year. Good soil drainage is essential, too.

EG

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Lili,
I planted the zuccchini from seed and it is got it's second set of leaves but they are a little bit yellow and not growing very big. I gave it a dose of liquid kelp fertilizer about a week ago.
What are the numbers on the liquid kelp :?: It maybe a little low on nitrogen.

mansgirl

I've had the same problems with zucchini last year. We had a really wet year last year here in Michigan, but they ended up taking off just fine. I would go with the 'just give them time' advice. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”