scot29
Cool Member

row my squash?

I have always hilled my summer & winter squash. Anyone dare me to plant it in a row? :P j/k
I imagine it's pretty common to plant them in rows. I'd like to try it this year to save space. Anyone have experience with this? My summer squashes are bushes & my buttercup squash is a semi-bush. I can space the row at 4'. For plant spacing, can I go 1' b/t the summer squashes & 1.5' b/t the buttercup?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I dare you!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, I have mounds that are 2 ft. equidistant on-center and about 8 in. at the base. and I've got 3 seeds to a mound so I'm hoping for 2 plants to a mound. Oh yeah, they are all bush varieties and I know they will be crowded so I'll see what happens. Here's to a great squash harvest!

scot29
Cool Member

jal_ut wrote:I dare you!
I back down - I'm scared :P
I'm probably going 2' b/t all of them. Still in a row though.
garden5 wrote:Well, I have mounds that are 2 ft. equidistant on-center and about 8 in. at the base. and I've got 3 seeds to a mound so I'm hoping for 2 plants to a mound. Oh yeah, they are all bush varieties and I know they will be crowded so I'll see what happens. Here's to a great squash harvest!
Sounds good. That's very similar to how I did mine, but I spaced them at 3 1/2'. Two per mound is perfect. Are they in a straight line? Happy squashing!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I back down - I'm scared
Chicken. Actually squash in rows works very well and a spacing of 12 inches is good.

Think about it.......... 5 seeds per hill and hills spaced 5 feet is the same density as one plant per foot. They may even do better spaced one per foot as the next plant is not so close. Train every other one to go on the opposing side of the row.

When I plant in hills it seems the plants themselves seem to know to go out like the spokes of a wheel.

No matter what, as you well know, after they have grown a while every square inch of the area will be covered with squash leaves.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:
I back down - I'm scared
No matter what, as you well know, after they have grown a while every square inch of the area will be covered with squash leaves.
....Which means little or no weeds :lol:!

Timlin

I have a big compost pile I built last fall. I save my kitchen scraps all winter (cold cold up this way) and in the spring I turn the compost pile, adding in the winter scraps and I plant my squash into that pile. They grow like insanity and in the fall I put the compost into the garden.

You can see from this I don't have the space you have. I'd love to see mine growing all across the ground.......how pretty would that be?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”