magic_mittens
Newly Registered

Recommended Veggies

I'm new to gardening and want to start my own lil veggie patch.........I was just wondering what people would recommend.

Not sure if its too late for alot of vegetables or not but any help you give will be much appreciated!!!

Cheers!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Never to late to start a vegetable garden! You can even plant one in August to have as a winter garden.

Anyway, tomatoes are nice, cucumbers, corn, squash, potatoes, carrots, eggplant, radishes (not a favourite of mine but, to each their own), peppers (like lots of heat and sun), herbs and so on.

Try some heirloom varieties of corn, tomatoes and carrots. Lots of neat stuff out there to try and grow.

Also, for a head start buy plants that are already started from nurseries and try onion sets as apposed to seeds.

magic_mittens
Newly Registered

cool, thanks!!

decam0

Runner (or climbing) beans are easy, ornamental, and good to eat. It's a bit of a hassle getting the climbing structure made, but worth it when you have a heap of steaming beans straight off the vine.
P.s. For my climbing beans, I bought some ornamental metal arches and placed them across from one vegetable bed to another. Then I planted the beans at the base of each upright. They look really pretty, and I can then just walk through the path under them, and pick the beans!

farmgirl

decam0 wrote:Runner (or climbing) beans are easy, ornamental, and good to eat. It's a bit of a hassle getting the climbing structure made, but worth it when you have a heap of steaming beans straight off the vine.
P.s. For my climbing beans, I bought some ornamental metal arches and placed them across from one vegetable bed to another. Then I planted the beans at the base of each upright. They look really pretty, and I can then just walk through the path under them, and pick the beans!
That is a really AWESOME idea!! Thanx! I think I might like to try that!! :D
That should work really well here in Kansas where we have lots of wind!!! 8)

decam0

You'll have even more wind after eating all those beans! :lol:

farmgirl

decam0 wrote:You'll have even more wind after eating all those beans! :lol:
:lol: you funny

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”