BERRYHILL

Strawberries

Hello, we have a small blueberry, blackberry, vegetable farm, in Arkansas, Zone 7. We would like to add Strawberries to are farm next year, I am looking for info on growing them,We learned by trial and error on our blueberries and blackberries, and I figure we will on strawberries too, but thought I would see if anyone had any helpfull info so that we might not have much error. LOl We have never grown strawberries, so any info would be appreciated. The best kind of plants, when to plant, how many to plant to be able to sell a decent about at market, to keep them all winter or replant every year, row spacing, etc. Do's and Don'ts

farmerlon
Green Thumb

This will probably not apply to you, since you're a "farming" operation. But, in a garden setting, I highly recommend putting the Strawberries in raised beds. If not, you will spend a lot of time stooping and bending all the way to the ground to pick them (be ready for a sore back).

This week, our Master Gardener group had a guest speaker that is a hydroponic grower. It's an investment in equipment, but they are getting massive yields (relative to the space requirements). Also, the hydroponic system has the plants elevated, for easier harvest.
The hydroponic system is not my "cup of tea"... but, if I were growing Strawberries commercially, I would definitely consider it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”