Decado
Green Thumb

Fencing Size For Cucumbers

So I'm building a trellis and I bought some 1 inch square rolled up plastic fencing, the biggest size holes I could find at home depot. Is this going to be big enough for a cucumber trellis or will it be problematic?

Decado
Green Thumb

Anyone? I really need to know soon.

kimbledawn

I think that if you can get to both sides of the trellis it won't be a problem but the fruit may grow on either side of the trellis and they will also begin growing in the holes. Sometimes it's easier to get netting or wore with holes you can reach through so that you can care for the plants.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

It will work in a pinch, but isn't there a garden center around that would have trellis netting, which is made from nylon twine with 6" squares? I might even be tempted to string twine back and forth between the posts before using chickenwire type fencing, plastic or metal.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The thing I see that could cause problems is as said above the fruit can grow through the small square. You can actually have half a cuke on one side and another half on the other side. They can still be harvested but you have to cut them out.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I use tall tomato fences (the round "barrels") tied to any sort of post to keep them from falling over. I trim off the excess growth, which seems to encourage fruiting on the main stems.

This may not be feasible if you planted a large quantity, but in any case, I don't think I would be happy with a 1" mesh.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I think it will work fine. Cucumbers aren't picky, they'll try to trellis up anything..even tomato plants. :shock:

jmoore

Do you have a Tractor Supply around? If so, you might try some hog or cattle panel.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

How do you get cattle panel home? I have a small pickup and can't figure out how to do it without looking really funny driving through town. I used to drive around with a canoe on the top of a Toyota Tercel, so if it intimidates me there has to be trick to it.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:How do you get cattle panel home? I have a small pickup and can't figure out how to do it without looking really funny driving through town. I used to drive around with a canoe on the top of a Toyota Tercel, so if it intimidates me there has to be trick to it.
Cmon TZ know you can do it!

If you are still feeling self conscious. Try this: just stick "the" finger out the window while simultaneously throwing beer cans out the window the whole way home. People will soon forget about the cattle panel strapped to your truck/car. :> :eek:

jmoore

TZ -OH6 wrote:How do you get cattle panel home? I have a small pickup and can't figure out how to do it without looking really funny driving through town. I used to drive around with a canoe on the top of a Toyota Tercel, so if it intimidates me there has to be trick to it.
If you don't have a trailer, then you could always measure the space where you are going to put the panel and cut it at the store. Small bolt cutters will easily cut the panel. An 8' section of cattle panel (1/2 a panel) won't hang over too far in a short bed Chevy.

sjohnson9206

Trailer...

Or cut it in half.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”