Cowboy303
Newly Registered

How long does sevin concentrate last

If I put sevin concentrate bug killer on my vegetable garden right now how many days would it take till I'm all rid of sevin or anything that could be harmful :?:

thank you

tedln
Super Green Thumb

This is a statement from one of the vendors of Sevin (Carboryl).

"Do not spray food crops within 1 day of harvest, except tomatoes where there is no limit."

The same vendor also says Carboryl kills all insects. It is highly toxic to bees which you want in your garden. It continues by saying it is also deadly to earthworms which you also want in your garden soil.

The net effect of using Carboryl in your garden is negative. It kills everthing you want killed, but it also kills everything you don't want killed. It takes a long time to re-establish an earthworm colony in your soil and they are probably the best thing a good garden soil can have.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Please read this before you use Sevin if nothing else read the last sentence.

https://www.dontspraycalifornia.org/carbarylog.htm

quote from above article:
Dr. Shearer also warns about the persistence of carbaryl in the soil. According to her, independent studies show that the pesticide has a half-life of 23 to 28 days on dry soil. Therefore, one-eighth of the application would be on the ground almost 3 months later.

Cowboy303
Newly Registered

Thank you
I'm try to have a semi organic garden so that realy turns me down. I'v got guineas and they love the bugs and stuff so I could call them in. But I do not like them trampling all over my garden. do you have any ideas of what I could do.

Thanks again
Cowboy303

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Over here in the UK it's been banned for several years now.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Cowboy303 wrote:Thank you
I'm try to have a semi organic garden so that realy turns me down. I'v got guineas and they love the bugs and stuff so I could call them in. But I do not like them trampling all over my garden. do you have any ideas of what I could do.

Thanks again
Cowboy303
I tried thuricide for caterpillars this year and it worked well. I had a large invasion on my tomatoes and lettuce. It is a biological agent and will not harm you or your veggies, For flying insects, insecticidal soaps work well. I'm not sure if it kills them or repels them, but it seems to work. Some oils like Neem oil have a good reputation but for me it has been hard to find. If you absolutely must use insecticides or pesticides, there are some on the market targeted to specific insects and conditions with short half lifes, but they may do as much long term damage as Carboryl. I don't know. For problems like powdery mildew, spray on a milk/10% , water / 90% solution. It is best used as a preventative. For aphids, simply wash them to the ground with a stream of water and they are finished.

Simple methods, but they work.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”