Lmcirig

Peppers pollinating or problem?

Every year for the last 4 years I've tried to grow red bell peppers. They never turn red. I've waited so long for them to turn red that they actually start rotting on the vine. What gives? Are they all turning green because of cross pollination?

Also, this year I've got some cayenne pepper, red (yeah right,) yellow, green bell peppers & cubanelle peppers. I can plant these all together, right?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Red bell peppers ARE green bell peppers, just whether you eat them immature or fully ripened. They get sweeter when fully ripened.

Not sure why yours aren't ripening up - sometimes they have trouble with that if it is really hot, above 85 or 90. In that case a little shade from afternoon sun can help. Sometimes pepper picked green will ripen up after picking, just as green tomatoes do.

You can plant them together if you aren't saving seeds from them for next year. If you are, they can cross pollinate and you could end up with weird varieties next year.

Lmcirig

rainbowgardener wrote:Red bell peppers ARE green bell peppers, just whether you eat them immature or fully ripened. They get sweeter when fully ripened.
I wonder why they sell them at stores with different labels? Regardless, that stinks for me I guess. I'll just keep trying. Maybe I'll put them in a pot and try moving it out of the sun in the afternoon. Thanks!

speedster7926

sometimes if you plant peppers together you will get hotter or milder tastes such as bell peppers can have some heat to them sometimes a good thing but then again sometimes bad.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”