Cerbiesmom

What do I need to know about asparagus?

I bougt a mixed basket of starter plants for the garden. Imainly bought it for the strawberries and blue potatoes. It also had asparagus roots and rhubarb. I planted all of it, not really expecting the asparagus or rhubarb to grow. The asparugus roots just looked like dead dried roots. But, low and behold this morning, I see a tiny little asparus in my garden. It's so cute. It is currently in a garden with partial shade. I'm just outside of houston, so it's about to get seriously hot. I don't even know when you're supposed to plant the stuff. But if it wants to try, I'll try to help it.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm no expert on those but asparagus is a perennial it will come back. It also may take a few years to get anything out of it. I want to say rhubarb is a perennial as well. Since what you got was probably a one yer spear you would probably have to wait till next year to harvest, if you plant from seed it is a 3 year process.

You went to Lowe's didn't you?

[url=https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1603.html]Asparagus facts[/url]
[url=https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1631.html]Rubarb facts[/url]

That should get you started.

Good luck.

Cerbiesmom

I did go to lowe's. The clearance plants call to me. I also got a brussel sprout, a stevia, and something else. All on sale. That's the most exciting part. Thanks for the links. let the learning begin!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Cerbiesmom wrote:I did go to lowe's. The clearance plants call to me. I also got a brussel sprout, a stevia, and something else. All on sale. That's the most exciting part. Thanks for the links. let the learning begin!
No prob for the links.

I hit up Lowe's a few times a week looking for deals. I keep looking at the horseradish they have. One of these times I'm gonna have to get some. For a pot though H-radish likes to take over and not go away.

Not 100% but I'm not so sure that Brussle's will do you any good. They are cold weather plants. They do better in the fall that early spring even. I started some from seed and put them out early, they haven't done much but are now finally growing ever so slowly. I'm worried they will not do anything here before it starts getting hot and I don't have the Texas heat.

Good luck on everything.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I just came across this in a weekly newsletter I get that fits you, something I had no idea of just thought I would share.
When I was writing about Goji plants in the fall of 2008, I spoke with Goji and Asparagus grower Scott D. Walker of Jersey Asparagus Farms, located in Pittsgrove, NJ, about when to cut back the asparagus ferns. Scott advised to cut the ferns back in the fall, "As for asparagus, you will want to wait until the fern is brown and dormant. If it has yellow in it, then there is still some food in the fern that is making its way down into the root. This will be stored and used next spring when the spears start to emerge. If you cut the fern green you go into the winter with a gas tank that is not completely full. Then you won't be getting the mileage (high yields) that you could next spring when you start to harvest."
Quote taken from https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2857/

Hispoptart

Our asparagus is doing nothing, been in for 3 years, even dug up wild and planted it with the roots we planted, so far in 3 years we have only a few shoots popping up hope you have better luck with yours. Our Rhubarb did great the first year and every year since it has got bigger. We harvested some the first year, towards the end of the season, enough to make a pie. Now we can harvest several time a year. I already have 2 twice this year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Asparagus can stand partial shade, but will do better with full sun. It is a perennial and gets quite tall, up to six feet. The ferny foliage can be used as an accent plant in your gardens. The ferns need to grow all season, and then you can mow them down after frost. Keep the weeds out of the area and fertilize a couple of times a season. Put a mulch on it in the fall.

Usually you can harvest a few spears the next year after planting, but you will get larger spears each year for the next 3 years. Stop harvesting spears after a month and let the ferns grow up. The plant needs the leaves and some time to make food and store it in the roots for next years crop. Asparagus is a spring crop and may well be your first harvest. I would plant at least 20 crowns if you want much volume.

Cerbiesmom

Not 100% but I'm not so sure that Brussle's will do you any good. They are cold weather plants. They do better in the fall that early spring even. I started some from seed and put them out early, they haven't done much but are now finally growing ever so slowly. I'm worried they will not do anything here before it starts getting hot and I don't have the Texas heat.

Good luck on everything.[/quote]
YEah, I'm quite sure the brussel sprout will do nothing. He's surviving, just not doing any growing or producing. I looked that up after I bought it. Now I know for next year, or this fall.

ronbre
Cool Member

you can never do enough for asparagus, it LOVES food and LOVES mulch and totally will reward you if it is kept weed free..composted manure..oh man it will make it so beautiful..

and I discovered something last year..it is scrumptious raw ..really

orgoveg
Green Thumb

ronbre wrote: and I discovered something last year..it is scrumptious raw ..really
Scrumptious, yes, but I read somewhere that it is a bit toxic if uncooked. Kind of like green potatos.

Hispoptart

orgoveg wrote:
ronbre wrote: and I discovered something last year..it is scrumptious raw ..really
Scrumptious, yes, but I read somewhere that it is a bit toxic if uncooked. Kind of like green potatos.
Can asparagus be eaten raw?
Although most people prefer asparagus cooked in some way, it is perfectly safe to eat asparagus raw. Just rinse it well in warm water to remove any sand and serve cold with a dip.

From https://www.asparagus.org/maab/faq.html

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for all of the great tips on the asparagus. One question: does it spread and if so, how vigorously?

Thanks.

Hispoptart

garden5 wrote:Thanks for all of the great tips on the asparagus. One question: does it spread and if so, how vigorously?

Thanks.
Well for us not fast enough we are not getting anything off our 3 year plants.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If it is thriving, it spreads slowly into a colony. At best it is not aggressive.

Since I have very little full sun on my property, mine is in a part shade area and not doing well at all. NOT spreading! (even though it is in its third year -- you do know that it takes three years to get asparagus established, with luck and full sun)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Asparagus contains more glutathione than any other common food item. A one hundred gram serving of asparagus is approximately five (5) healthy spears.

According to the Washington Asparagus Commission, glutathion from asparagus can be...
A detoxifying agent; by binding to fat-soluable toxins thereby transforming them into water to be exreted in urine. " [url=https://www.asparagus.on.ca/article.php?id=8]Source[/url]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”