farmerlon
Green Thumb

your favorite Watering Can

What is your favorite Watering Can?
I have to purchase a new one, because the cheap little can that I have is failing. I would like to get a good one... one that will work well, and last a long time.

For instance, I had several different pruning shears through the years. But, I finally found the Felco pruners; and those are of such a high quality that they are a pleasure to use, and they should last a lifetime.
Do you own a Watering Can that you have that sort of confidence in?

applestar
Mod

The one I've had my sights on is this $25 one from Gardener's Supply. But I always end up buying something else more urgent.
[img]https://demandware.edgesuite.net/aabf_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-Gardeners-Site/Sites-GSC_Products/default/v1273845137210/Products/06-341th.jpg[/img]

The features I looks for though, is -- 2~3 gal. capacity. Large top opening, enough to get your hand in if necessary, handles that are both on top for easy carrying and on the side for easy pouring (that's why I like the continuous loop handle above).

Recently I saw ones with liquid measure markings molded into the side. I like that too. Another new design is a swivel spout that makes it easier to store.

I ended up buying a $10 one at the hardware store though -- doesn't have the liquid measurements of the $15 one.

Better design than the $7 one -- I tried getting one of those before, the rose promptly fell off and couldn't be screwed back on. I've also tried buying the open top galvanized metal watering cans from craft stores for $5. They work well to a point, but the rose is welded on and can't be cleaned out or the weld fails and then can't be secured back on. The seams also spring leaks and if you use the spout as a handle to pick up the full can, the weld there can crack and the spout falls off. I have a spoutless one sitting on the patio that I'm going to turn into a planter. :wink:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I use an empty 5 gallon bucket and an empty 32 ounce tomato sauce can. Fill the 5 gallon bucket with water and use the 32 oz can as a dipper. Each plant gets 1 can of water = 1 quart. I put lime in the water sometimes for tomatoes.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:I use an empty 5 gallon bucket and an empty 32 ounce tomato sauce can. Fill the 5 gallon bucket with water and use the 32 oz can as a dipper. Each plant gets 1 can of water = 1 quart. I put lime in the water sometimes for tomatoes.
Same here! I sometimes don't even use a dipper :lol:. Oh yeah, I almost forgot: my garden hose is my favorite watering tool. :wink:

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:I use an empty 5 gallon bucket and an empty 32 ounce tomato sauce can.
Yeah, I know... and, believe me, I really don't mind taking an economical approach to gardening.

But, for most watering, I much prefer to have an official Watering Can with a nice "rose" to distribute the water. For me, I can water more effectively that way... because there is a lot less splash, and I feel that the water has a better chance of "soaking in" where I want it. I always seems to get too much water run-off when I try to water with a bucket or jar.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”