gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Unhardening off the hardened?

Alright here is one for the almighty gardeners out there.

What if you have some plants that are fully hardened off and have been staying outside for over a week after hardening off. Than you bring them inside and put them back under lights to avoid the near tornadic thunderstorms ripping through everyday. After being inside for 3-4 day's can they go straight back out or do they need to be re-acclimated slowly again?

What say you?

Dono

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Gixx,
I always view hardening off plants: like a person getting a suntan.

Once you get a bit of tan, does a few days inside set you back? Maybe, unless you were really tanned to begin with.

But, if you are just beginning your tan, and can't tan due to rain, when you start working on your tan again, just back up a little bit, if you were up to an hour in the sun before, then just hold at 45 minutes.

For your plants do the same thing, just back up a little bit from where you were, but you don't have to start over.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That's the thing OL they were living outside (day and night) for a week or so.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

My plants lived outside 24/7 for nearly two weeks then on sunday night came back in and were in all week (no lights tho!) due to icy cold temps and some nasty storms. I didn't even consider the rehardening aspect and plopped them out on the back table all day. 8 hours of full sunlight later they all look fine! My plants consist or tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, marigolds, and also some very baby tomato seedlings that were basically started outside. Even those babies did well today, I'd almost swear they grew an inch....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sounds good Dixana.

I just threw them out anyways myself. I am kind of a Tough Love gardener when it comes to things like that. :lol:

Oh and glad everything came out alright for you. Frozen plants are no good. :cry:

A little side note. I put out some baby tom's last week sometime. They were 2-3 inches tall still obviously with their seed leaves on them. They are still growing even through all the massive thunderstorms we have had. Feisty little buggers they are.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

When my plants were really tiny I had them out for the afternoon/evening and we left. The weather reports said "possible showers". Possible showers turned into a NASTY thunderstorm with 30 mph winds and my plants were sitting in a box on the roof of a truck! They survived :D I think those little seedings are tougher than we give them credit for.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”