tedln
Super Green Thumb

Saving a cucumber plant.!

Ive had sweet success, and burpee sweet burpless hybrid cukes planted for a while. They germinated well and are gorwing well. I had two or three bare spots where a seed didn't germinate. I planted Armenian cukes in the bare spots. They germinated fast and put out true leaves fast then they starting damping off. I don't understand why they are since they are growing identically to the other cucumbers. Today, I noticed the last Armenian was laying over on its side wiltiing. I checked the stem and it was damping off, but not broken. I propped it up with a small mound of soil around the stem. I checked it later in the day and it seemed to be doing fine. Do you think it will out grow the bad place in the stem and continue growing or will it die?

Ted

applestar
Mod

Not sure if this will help, but it can't hurt:

Water with 10% milk? or better yet AACT -- are you making that? Start a quick 1 gal jug if you can, and use it tomorrow PM. Maybe mulch with good compost in the mean time.

Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure if soil drenching with 10% milk is a good idea as it may disrupt the bacteria/fungi balance -- I prefer using it as foliar spray.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ted,

Have you thought that the reason the first didn't germinate may be killing this new variety. Just thinking, ( typing) out load. :? :idea:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Eric,

yep. I did think of it, but the first seeds simply didn't germinate. The Armenian seeds germinated fine and very quickly. They even put out a few true leaves and would suddenly dampen off. They would simply like down and wilt and die. I checked each of them and they had dampened off. I am thinking of planting each of the seed in a little hill instead of level with the other plants. Maybe the tops of the little hills won't get as wet as the area level with the others. I could also germinate them at the normal level and then push soil up around the stem as it grows to prevent damping off. The Armenian plants just seem more susceptible to it than the others. It's interesting.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”