Michael McCormack
Newly Registered

Yukons coming up nicely...but, what now.

I am growing yukons and red potatoes...planted them about a month ago. They are up anywhere from 2" to 5".
Because I am new at gardening in general, can someone with some more experience help me understand how to tend to these potatoe plants?

I have read about mounding up soil around the plants in order to make a mound 8" high. So, if this is right, am I to cover the leaves of the plants that are showing now?

Thanks, Mike

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just let them grow for a while. When they are 12 inches tall you can mound the soil up around them about 4 inches deep. That is all that is required. This is to prevent the developing tubers from seeing the sun. If they grow up out of the soil they see the sun and get green and develop an awful taste.

Try to keep the soil damp and watch for insect damage. You should do well.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

the green can make you sick also.

Growing potatoes PennState

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpubs.cas.psu.edu%2FFreePubs%2Fpdfs%2Fuj245.pdf&rct=j&q=growing+potatoes+in+Penn&ei=SnDoS7_CIYbmswPIwZHcCA&usg=AFQjCNE3lua4Od9s_PR-diETp_jEJfkqmg

Hope this helps

applestar
Mod

Yep, and yes, you do cover up any lowest leaves with the soil. You can also use mulch like straw or leaves. I used layers of pine needles mixed with left over fallen leaves and compost and occasionally straw. I thought the pine needles would be useful since I read that slightly acid pH prevents scab disease on potatoes.

Hispoptart

Definitely cover them if you see potatoes, as stated the sun will make them green and that will make you sick.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”