Urban_Garden
Cool Member

Something is attacking my beans!

So, I woke up this morning and went out to uncover my plants (frost last night) only to see that something is eating at my bean sprouts. What could be eating them?!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Need more info. With info provided so far the possible answers include any critter that feeds on beans. That can range from bean beetles to cut worms, to deer.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

adding to the list, birds and rodents

tedln
Super Green Thumb

If they were covered while they were eaten, then a high probability would be snails or slugs. Seems a little early for them in Indiana though.

Ted

Urban_Garden
Cool Member

Small bites, sometimes half of the bean (part that hangs on after it sprouts) and leaves. I've also discovered the same problem with some of my marigolds. I found a slug trail around the marigold area, even though it was sort of chilly last night. I've resorted to placing jugs over the sprouting beans to at least reduce the threats.

Deer- not likely, I live in the central city.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Place a few small, flat rocks like bricks in the garden near the plants. Snails and slugs look for some place to hide during the day and they like to hide under flat rocks. Carry a coffee can to the garden with you, turn the rocks over in the mornings and collect the snails and slugs in the can and then dispose of them. Do this as early in the gardening season as you can to prevent them from producing eggs. You will probably never eliminate them, but you can control them to the point that damage to your garden is minimal.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”