Petemrlw
Newly Registered

Underfelt

Hi,
Can anyone advise me if it safe to use old underfelt in a vegie garden as a weed suppressent and mulch?
Thanks
Pete

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, you are half a world away from many of us. What is underfelt?

serial_killer

Underfelt-The pad used underneath carpet or other floor coverings.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

We know it mainly as padding.
https://www.findanyfloor.com/carpet/CarpetPadding/CarpetPaddingTypes.xhtml

If it is natural fiber, Yes. Synthetic, I would not recommend it.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes like DDF said natural would be good but I would stay away from synthetic. I can't remember ever seeing any natural carpet padding myself at least not in the past 5- 10 years. Though the product you have there could be very different from what I have here.

Alan in Vermont

That would be jute padding. It was used prior to the various types of synthetic foam, probably hasn't been used here for 50 years or so.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, now that I have a better sense of what we are talking about, here's my thought:

Sounds like it would work well as a weed suppressant on garden paths or other areas where you just don't want anything to grow, keep down weeds and keep your paths from being muddy. I have used carpet remnant that way myself sometimes.

I think for your garden beds, likely too heavy, limiting air and water circulation to your soil.

applestar
Mod

Especially for a vegetable garden, I would be concerned about chemicals used to treat the fibers, if natural, to deter mold/mildew/insects, as well as any possible chemical residue from the carpet itself if synthetic and insecticides if natural. Also, any cleaning product residue.... :?

jkkfam89

It is an absorbant so I woulkd be concerned of the chemicals it has absorbed throughout the years. Also, when wet it would be pretty heavy and compact your vegies.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

What the 2 posters above me said.

I was thinking about this and their thoughts came to me about what is it actually made of, has it been treated with chemicals and what has it collected over the years? I am not so sure I would use it myself.

Petemrlw
Newly Registered

Hi All,
Thank you for your help. Yes, now I remember this is a Jute product. As I do not know what has been applied to the underfelt over the years I will NOT be putting it on my vegie patch. Will put it on my pathways and cover it with sawdust. DIE WEEDS !!!!!!
Thanks again
Pete

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”