Dixana
Greener Thumb

what can you tell me about edamame

While grumbling tonight about how our podunk grocery stores don't carry the edamame I love and must have in my salads it occurred to me (:idea: DUH!) I CAN GROW MY OWN!!
I know squat about growing edible soybeans.
Did they need to be started indoors already? About how many plants might I need? Where can I aquire seeds? And what varieties (if they vary) are best?
Thanks guys!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

dixana,

Have never grown them before, but I have grown Fava beans.

Here is a link, it will get you started anyway.
https://www.botanicalinterests.com/store/search_results_detail.php?seedtype=V&seedid=628

Dixana
Greener Thumb

DD what a FANTASTIC website!! I'll undoubtably be bookmarking it and ordering from there. They even have my heirloom parsnips!!

applestar
Mod

Don't have time to search them out for you, but both hendi_alex and I have posted about growing edamame. So try Search the Forum. Very easy. Seeds sold for Edamame is different from the dry beans, but I've tried growing the organic dry beans from bulk section of Wholefoods. Smaller pods, but still yummy.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Dixana,

I've always ordered seed from Territorial Seed Co. Then my local hardware brought this line in. I like that they are Organic and you seem to get more seed for the buck.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Can anyone tell me an average expected yeild for plants? If it's mainly me and my 2 year old eating them would 5 plants be enough? 10?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”