Decado
Green Thumb

Tomatoes Poking Through Tops Of Wall'O'Water

And we're supposed to get a light frost and maybe a bit of snow tonight. They're poking through from 2"-6", should I be covering them with garbage bags tonight or will they be fine without?

applestar
Mod

I would if you're expecting frost and even snow. I mean it won't kill the plants since the base and roots are protected, but the leaves may be damaged. Floating covers, sheets, blankets, whatever you have.

Sounds like they're growing well, though. :D

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Definitely cover!

The only thing about plastic bag - if you do get frost, any place where the leaf touching the plastic bag - good chance to get a frost bite, so, see of you could maybe through some layer of straw on the top first, or cloth, blankets as Apple suggested - and good luck!

Regards,
D

Decado
Green Thumb

Well I had to go with the plastic bags because I didn't really have anything cloth to use that wouldn't blow away or was big enough to hold down with something. They didn't help even a little, the leaves all died even where the bag wasn't touching... The stem looks fine so will sucker vines pop up from there or what?

applestar
Mod

Aww, that's too bad Decado. :( Winds, especially gusting winds, make everything harder to cover.

If the leaves are wilted, see if they recover, but if they're truly dead, then clip them off. These are tomatoes -- they'll definitely grow new shoots from the leaf nodes in no time at all. :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'm sorry to hear that. I had a light frost last night but I covered my plants with milk jug cloches. I haven't checked them yet, but I think they made it.

Don't worry about the die-off. You will have more shoots from that plant than you will know what to do with. :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”