tedln
Super Green Thumb

What to grow where and when!

I see a lot of questions on this forum asking if someone can grow a specific vegetable in a specific area. I was doing a little research on some things today and stumbled on a link at "Mother Earth News" website. They performed a national survey asking only four simple questions about peoples gardens and with the information provided, they generated a United States, regional, map listing the top ten garden crops for each area. They also listed some unusual crops people grow in areas thought to not be good for that crop. Check it out, you may find it interesting. I was shocked to find garlic is one of the most common top ten crops. Chard is also listed in most top tens in popularity and ease to grow. After forty years of gardening, this is my first year to grow either.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/Best-Regional-Crops.aspx

Ted

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Pretty interesting, but not surprisingto me. They hit the nail on the head about midwesterners not growing corn at home.. Why bother using at that space in our yard when it's cheap and yummy from the farmers market? ;)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

That's a good read Ted. Thank you for the link.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Doesn't surprise me about the chard. I had never heard of Swiss chard until I found it in garden catalog (over a decade ago now) and decided to try growing it. But it rapidly became my favorite thing to grow. So easy and productive! Nothing bothers it and it just keeps going and going from before the last spring frost to after the first fall frost. What more could you ask!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I think chard surprised me because I rarely see it available commercially. After doing a little research on it, I now know it doesn't store well. If something can't be grown, packaged, shipped, sold, and then stored well in a refrigerator; it can not be commercially available. Farmers markets may be the only place chard can be easily available.

Most gardeners seem to mimic the grocery store when they choose what to grow.

Garlic on the other hand has always been available but most people only use small amounts at home. I think for me and most gardeners, the idea that needing to choose and acquire either a hardneck or softneck garlic and then decide the variety best suited to their climate is a little confusing. Add to that confusion, the fact that most suppliers of quality garlic for the garden are small and seem to grow limited amounts for sale each year, makes garlic growing appear to be a boutique type endeavor. I guess most people who grow it simply plant what is available at the grocery store as I did and possibly save cloves for replanting.

Ted

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I've always found grocery store garlic to be disappointing though, especially when compared to the taste quality you recieve at high end restaraunts. I end up using a LOT when I cook to get the flavor I'm after and we put garlic in everything from beef stroganoff to fried potatoes to pasta dishes.

Hispoptart

Nice link, thanks

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

makes garlic growing appear to be a boutique type endeavor. I guess most people who grow it simply plant what is available at the grocery store as I did and possibly save cloves for replanting.
Ted, No way dude :? I would never grow garlic from the grocery store. I grow a Hardneck variety called Music, sometime Musik. Here are some links that offers many choice of garlic. Soft and hardneck. Always save some garlic for planting the following Fall.

https://www.territorialseed.com/prod_detail_list/garlic_shallots
https://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/index.php?cPath=95

barbelle

Wow... great website jeb...

I checked it out and realized what I should be focused on. I am heading in the right direction!! Any help is greatly appreciated by a new gardener!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I am central midwest! Interesting. Since, I am borderline, I suppose to a limited degree both the southern interior and central midwest would sort of fit me.

I have never grown green beans and they are in the top 10.

There were alot of swiss chard, lettuce, radishes, and green onions at the Farmer's Market today. And I bought Bak choi, just to try it out, it was cute, little 4-6" plants. I think I got 6 or so in a bundle for $2.00.

I have pak choi growing in the garden, so I wanted to sample the other, surprised me that they are so small!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nice find. The results for the midwest are spot on for me. Surprise, surprise tomatoes got the number 1 spot. I know at least around here summer revolves around the tomato. :D

I'm surprised myself to see Swiss Chard so high. I did not know of it until last year. Nobody I know, knows what it is either. But I am joining RBG as her vice president in promoting it. What a great plant it is, as RBG said nothing bothers it and it grows forever and ever and will even overwinter itself at least here. My favorite plant of last year, well after the tomato of course. :wink:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I'm still surprised by the rankings of Garlic and Swiss Chard. I could find onion sets and onion seedlings and onion seed at almost every store selling gardening supplies. I can't remember seeing garlic for sale specifically for growing anywhere but the internet.

I also checked some stores for Swiss Chard seed. Burpee had two varieties and Ferry Morris only had one. They were almost hidden at the bottom of the racks. If I hadn't been willing to set down on the floor to see what was at the bottom of the racks, I wouldn't have found it. I understand according to the survey both garlic and Swiss Chard rank high in gardeners preference, but why don't the vendors give them the same respect?

Most companies place products proven to have customer appeal where it can be seen and purchased easily.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”