tedln
Super Green Thumb

If you want manure for your garden!

I was in Home Depot today to purchase some Burpee Swiss Chard seed. While there, I was looking at the various brands of garden soils and potting mixes. Which ranged in price from about $1.00 for topsoil which seems now to be a blend of rocks, stones, gravel, and sand. They may even throw in a few toxic chemicals for good luck. That used to be a pretty good base soil to build your garden soil on. Then they went up in price to $1.97 for what they call Scotts Garden Soil. The prices ranged up to about $10.00 per bag for the high class brands of potting soils and garden soils.

I was curious about the contents of the lower price, Scotts garden soil so I bought a couple of bags thinking it would simply be high quality dirt. When I got home, I read the instructions on the bag and they said to "not" plant anything directly into the soil, but to mix it with topsoil before using it for planting. I opened the bag and immediately knew why you should mix it. It is almost pure manure. No wonder the bag also said to use gloves when mixing the soil. Don't get me wrong, I love manure in the garden but it simply has become so hard to obtain high quality manure for a reasonable price. I believe the "MOOPOO" brand is about $3.95 per bag and it is diluted with sand. I will mix some in my soil in my former lettuce bed before I plant anything in it. I will soak it daily with a water hose to move the nutrients into the underlying soil and probably plant my Swiss Chard there next week.

Hard to believe someone would be so happy to find a bag of poop for a reasonable price.

Ted
Last edited by tedln on Fri May 07, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sciencegal

I wish you lived near me. Between several head of beef steers, the horse, mule and donkey and about 30 dairy goats, manure is something that I have coming out of my ears. I'd give you all you want for free. It's high quality stuff, too.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Sciencegal: post your manure on craigslist or freecycle. Not only will your manure vanish very quickly this time of year, you can make people load it themselves, and they will :D

tedln
Super Green Thumb

sciencegal wrote:I wish you lived near me. Between several head of beef steers, the horse, mule and donkey and about 30 dairy goats, manure is something that I have coming out of my ears. I'd give you all you want for free. It's high quality stuff, too.
I grew up in West Texas surrounded by cattle feedlots. I still think I am smelling manure in my dreams sometimes.

Dixana is right though. Those people will be more than happy to take all the manure you can provide. They will load it themselves and be happy to pay you some money as a token of their respect. One lady in California who raises cattle is packing it in over sized tea bags and selling the tea bags on the internet so people can home brew their own poo tea for their gardens. A number of stores are now carrying her poo bags. Shes probably making more money from the poo than from the beef. I heard she is looking for a breed of cattle that have a genetic predisposition to diarrhea. (Just kidding about her looking for a new breed).

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

sciencegal wrote:I wish you lived near me. Between several head of beef steers, the horse, mule and donkey and about 30 dairy goats, manure is something that I have coming out of my ears. I'd give you all you want for free. It's high quality stuff, too.
Are you making any good artisan cheeses out of the goats milk?

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

That is funny; I have some neighbors who told me I could have all the manure I want, they have cattle and horses. One of my neighbors had a portable lumber mill brought in to cut some trees into lumber for his new house and he let me have a bunch of it, the piles were close enough to my garden that I just drove my tractor to one of the big piles and made a bunch of trips with one bucket at a time.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Tedln, is that Scotts stuff in a yellow bag, because that is what I bought to amend my garden. It was fairly cheap as well, I can remember the price though.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Scott,

I'm not sure what color the bag is. It's to dark to go to the garden and see. (I'm afraid of the dark) I'll let you know tomorrow.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Scott,

They are mostly purple and white in color. In big letters it says "Scotts Garden Soil".

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Dixana wrote:Sciencegal: post your manure on craigslist or freecycle. Not only will your manure vanish very quickly this time of year, you can make people load it themselves, and they will :D
If I saw this on craiglist by me I would be on the way right now. Freecycle would be better though. :lol:

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

That's why I'm glad my new house is next to a cow pasture, free manure!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

We raised calves last year and probably will this year. Last year I thought I would have a good supply of manure. The problem was by the time I could pick up any cow poo, the insects had already turned it to dust. The only way I could get any manure would have been to follow them around with a wheelbarrow right behind the rear ends. I decided to buy it instead.

Ted

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

lol, sounds like bad timing. My father inlaw has a good number of cattle and there's plenty of piles of poo everywhere, fresh poo is easy to find.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Did you check the ingredients? I wonder if there are any chemical substances in there with the organic stuff. Scotts isn't particularly known for having organic materials.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I checked. It only listed the nutritional and mineral percentages similar to commercial fertilizers in the bag. The percentages were very low compared to commercial fertilizers. The only thing that clued me into the manure was the odor. That has always been one of the things I like about manure. It has low nitrogen, but it is very slow release over a long period. I have always believed it is high in natural acids which cause minerals already in the soil to be released for uptake by the plants. It also has a natural bacterial culture which are beneficial in the soil

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”