mayo

Can I use the same soil?

I had an indoor tree (not a typical ficus, but not sure if it's in the ficus family or if it even matters) that died on me. So now I have a container filled with soil that I'd like to plant extra peas in and place in my side yard. My question is if you think I can reuse this same soil or might it be "contaminated" and shouldn't have edibles grown in it? Should anything be planted in it or should I mix it into my compost?

I think that the tree suffered from a little neglect and when I tried to nurse it back to health, it might have gotten root rot (the pot does have drain holes, but I think I might have overwatered it. The tree came out of the soil with very little effort).

Thanks for any help.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can use the soil, but I would suggest mixing it with some compost to replenish the nutrients and good soil microbes. If it were I, I would also mix in some perlite, to keep the soil nice and loose, so it drains well. :)

That's what I plan to do when I plant my tomatoes ... presuming our weather ever gets warm enough! :roll:

mayo

Hahaha Thanks Kisal! And good luck with your tomatoes.

applestar
Mod

If you're planting peas, low nutrient is probably not going to affect them too much. If the roots rotted in the soil, that would probably help to feed it. But peas like somewhat alkaline soil and potash, so mixing some wood ash or lime would be a good idea. Eggshells work too.

I guess if it were me, I would add crushed oystershells -- that would provide the extra drainage if the soil is compacted, raise pH and add extra calcium.

But yes, I agree with Kisal -- you CAN reuse the soil in the container. :wink:
(caveat: as long as you haven't used insecticide, etc. on the previous resident of the container that may still be in the soil.)

mayo

Thanks applestar! The soil is actually really workable, so I may just add some wood ash. woohoo! More peas :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”