Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

It is humid here, and I find they keep better in the pantry, since the a/c pulls moisture out and the heat does in winter. Outside that is not the case. So I airdry them, until the dirt dries and can be brushed off, and dummy me, I braid them, no matter what they are! About 4-5 inches up the stiff necks will braid.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Curiosity overcame me. I was concerned that my garlic harvest would be as bland and flavorless as the store bought garlic from which it grew. My intent was to probably compost it if it was tasteless. I didn't want to give it to someone else to eat if I didn't like it. I picked up one of the cloves and peeled it. I took a good bite and was momentarily disappointed. Then it hit me. I didn't realize raw garlic is that hot. It has probably been a couple of hours since I ate it and I still have a pleasant garlic taste in my mouth. Guess I will have to cook a couple of bulbs with olive oil on the grill soon and see how that tastes. Probably have some garlic infused olive oil over angel hair pasta next. Maybe a little garlic toast on the side. I hope no one shows up to visit for the next few days. Not disappointed so far.

Ted

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I found that out the hard way. Many recipes for salad, say, take garlic and rub a wooden salad bowl, then put your salad items into it, for a nice hint of garlic. Hint nothing, I like garlic, so I did that, then I chopped the garlic into the salad... definitely got my attention.

The heat will dissipate with cooking, but the flavor will remain.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've actually heard that you can bake the bulb in the oven and it will lose its heat and take on and almost creamy texture. I've yet to try this myself as I hear that it really permeates the house and am waiting for a day when I can have the windows open :).

How do you cook it on the grill, just leave it in bulb-form and pour olive oil over it? Do the cloves ever separate and fall through the grate? (this thread is starting to make me hungry.)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I roast most of the garlic I grow. What doesn't get eaten with dinner is fine reheated in the microwave (good on crakers) so you can roast a lot at one time. I really don't recall ever noticing a fragrance coming from the oven. It is wrapped in foil anyway. Even when I include bare cloves while roasting olive oil coated potatoes and radishes there is not a smell.

There is a world of difference in the roasted flavor of heirloom garlics over store bought. The white storebought variety has a harsh taste that seems good until you compare it to others. Possibly because it is often old and getting ready to sprout.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

The clove I bit into yesterday was full of juice and seemed to carry a lot of flavor in the juice. The store bought garlic that it grew from was dried and cured. The juices were gone and it had less flavor. It is possible that the longer garlic cures, the more flavor is lost.

When I cook it on the grill, I will cut it in half the same way I cut a lemon or orange in half exposing all of the sections. I will drizzle a little olive oil over the exposed cloves and loosely enclose them in aluminum foil. Place them on one side of the grill and continue cooking other things on the grill. I think it is the same way it would be baked in the oven. I cook baked potato, whole sweet potato, sweet corn, and many fresh veggies on the grill. Can't wait for my summer squash to get here. Cooking on the grill gives great results, reduces kitchen cleanup, helps keep the house cool in the summer, reduces cooking odors in the house, and is fun.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”