michaelstigers
Newly Registered

Help with some Green Bell Peppers and Sweet Banana Peppers!

Hey everyone!

We have a pretty big garden this year - and everything seems like it's going well - however we do have a small problem.

Lately - it seems like our Banana Peppers, and Orange Bell Peppers seem to be, wilting.

The leaves near the top - seem to be curling; and on Monday - one of the plants was literally leaning over - about halfway up the stalk.

I'm not sure what's wrong with them.

They're watered daily...(to much?) And they're watered in the evening...(someone told me water in the morning...shame on me)

We need some help - I love the garden; and I don't want to lose ONE THING!

Does anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong?

(photos to be included)

Right now the plants are standing up straight - and one has a small white flower opening...

Am I just being to demanding of my plants?

[img]https://lh3.ggpht.com/_1EEcIO99NwY/S-HIXlE3JbI/AAAAAAAAAwA/0LEPTh8xZgI/s512/DSC00001.JPG[/img]

[img]https://lh5.ggpht.com/_1EEcIO99NwY/S-HIYGHrA2I/AAAAAAAAAwE/fLjZ0K6uIU0/s720/DSC00002.JPG[/img]

[img]https://lh6.ggpht.com/_1EEcIO99NwY/S-HIYo2O-xI/AAAAAAAAAwI/qpwNoG-RQKQ/s720/DSC00003.JPG[/img]

[img]https://lh4.ggpht.com/_1EEcIO99NwY/S-HIZeep72I/AAAAAAAAAwM/cKdSW7qIa8s/s512/DSC00004.JPG[/img]

michaelstigers
Newly Registered

thank you for your informative post!

we are on city water, ugh, if only it was a well - but alas; we're right outside San Antonio - although we're on a "cleaner" system than San Antonio - there are added chemicals; and this weekend I will try to find a barrel to let my water sit in for a day or so.

I will certainly hold off on watering them everyday - although it's going to take me biting my lower lip! (I love my garden, and any excuse I can get to get in it!)

The picture below, is what I've done to help keep the Jalapeno plants to stay a bit more sturdy...it's simply "gardening" (rancher fence in texas) wire - to help give them a bit of stability...do you think I should do this with the pepper plants to? (please say yes...lol....more excuses...)

[img]https://lh3.ggpht.com/_1EEcIO99NwY/S-HPE-piOzI/AAAAAAAAAwg/jJNmoT2x_Yk/s512/DSC00001.JPG[/img]

[img]https://lh6.ggpht.com/_1EEcIO99NwY/S-HPFjiCNiI/AAAAAAAAAwk/MHOqhlEtrZc/s512/DSC00002.JPG[/img]

[img]https://lh4.ggpht.com/_1EEcIO99NwY/S-HPGRY12VI/AAAAAAAAAwo/UI9cv5s9Wgc/s512/DSC00003.JPG[/img]

Of course, they seem more large, and hardy than the Jalapeno plants, but with the wind around here...anything can go!

...it's a learning experience; and I always bow down before, and listen to those that know what they're talkn' about - especially in this crazy climate!

and thanks for the KUDOS to the plants!

in general - is watering daily - "overkill"?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Whether or not watering daily is overkill depends on a lot of other factors... temperatures, sun exposure, general humidity, soil type etc.

Your peppers are not looking real happy to me (but then I'm in Ohio where we have high humidity and water that just falls out of the sky! :) ).

Soil looks dryish too. I definitely agree MULCH is needed. Once you've done that, then I agree they are better off with deeper less frequent waterings to encourage deeper root systems. But in your kind of climate, you really have to work at the deep watering thing. Put your hose on trickle and just leave it there for 15 min. Then come back and dig down and see how far down the water has percolated. That will give you an idea of what it will take. I do water three times - water until it puddles, wait until it is all soaked in and then repeat two more times.

What have your temperatures been like and are these in full sun? I think in Texas most plants benefit from a little heat of the day shade in the hot part of summer.

michaelstigers
Newly Registered

we're sitting in the high 80's daily

the soil is *very* dry - I hadn't thought about the mulch idea - but this weekend (if not sooner) - that will be the first thing that I do! (thanks for the idea to both of you)

last week (last Monday to be exact) I started with a bit of Miracle grow. One scoop in the watering can.

The garden is completely hand watered - with a watering can - no hose to do it with. Myself; I had been doing the puddling thing too.

Is the morning...better than the evening - overall?

I had put a message in the "introduction" forum - we have a fairly extensive garden for newbies - about 25 varieties - the peppers just - well look "sad" compared to the rest of the garden.

MULCH IT IS! (any other ideas? lol)

Everything is in pretty much "full sun" - it may get some shade in the morning, and evening - but everything is in the sun - all - day - long...(glad I'm not!)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I agree with the multiple waterings as well. I normally hand water with hose and a shower nozzle. I will soak each plant at the root zone, try not to get the leaves too much than work my way around the garden yard and come back to where I started and do it all again. And yes I believe that morning is the best time to water. But if that is not feasible early evening is good too you just don't want the leaves to be wet through the night. And midday watering is just a waste of water due to evaporation.

So that out of the way maybe try not watering for a bit than soak them real good. You might be over-watering them. If that doesn't perk them up than there is another problem.

From my experience pepper like it rough. To me the more you mistreat them the better they do to a certain extent of course.

Hope this helps I'm kinda rambling.

michaelstigers
Newly Registered

nah - you're not rambling!

I think I will chill with watering them - for the time being; and see what happens...I may have been just a bit to loving; but that's ok - I'll give it to em like they want it - and if it's rough - well then gimme my green hemp whip! (laughs)

I appreciate your input - what do YOU think about the stakes that the jalapenos have to help support them?

of course - as they grow - they'll probably need something - but do you ya'll think something this early would be alright?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Now don't get crazy either I don't know what your weather is like there but everyday seems like a lot (of watering) to me especially for peppers.

I like the supports when the peppers start getting big they sometimes need support. So the earlier the better. though they are pretty tough plants and can be done without though a little help can't hurt. I can't remember using supports for peppers though maybe I have or maybe I didn't and wish I did.

kimbledawn

I have to agree with mulch. My first garden was last season and I think part of my struggles was because I didn't mulch my raised beds. I had a hard time with a watering schedule becase the soil always seemed so dry.

This year I mulched with half finished compost until we bought straw and it has made a world of difference. My peppers and tomatoes are doing great :D The soil doesn't splash on the plant leaves and the plants stay consistently moist. Mulch..mulch..mulch!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah what he and they said I forgot to mention mulch, I was going too and than didn't.

Mulch helps out a lot. I like grass myself. It's free, but you might want to let it brown up first so that it doesn't rob nutrients while decomposing. Leaves work great too but maybe not too many leaves this time of year. Even better in my opinion is grass and leaves.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”