katylaide
Cool Member

Harvesting Broccoli Di Cicco

Does anyone grow this? I have a nice plant with lots of really small heads about an inch in diameter each or less. Instructions seem to recommend to harvest the main head when it's 3 inches across, but this one doesn't really have a main head, just lots of equally-sized small ones. It's late at night so I can't go out and take a picture. Just thinking about it because my little nephew is coming to visit tomorrow and it would be nice to give him some organic broccoli fresh from the garden, but wondering if it's a good time to harvest? Also wondering if harvesting a few heads will encourage the others to get bigger.

applestar
Mod

Yep, that's about right. 1~1-1/2 inches are about the size I get. I suppose the heads can get somewhat bigger if diligently fertilized (I never do :wink:), but I just take it to mean I don't have to cut them apart. You want to harvest while the buds are still tightly closed and dark/frosty green. Others will grow as you harvest, and more side shoots will develop as well. My favorite snack while out in the garden, but I suppose you could share with your nephew. 8)

katylaide
Cool Member

Thanks applestar you're so helpful :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”