reneeleann

Slow growing garden

Hello everyone. This is my first year with a vegetable garden and I am a little lost right now and was hoping for some advice. I planted my garden in a raised bed and filled it with gardeners soil from a local dirt company. I believe the soil is a mix of clean dirt, organic compost, and a little sand.

We planted our garden around the 15th of March and we are in Austin, Texas, zone 8. Our days are high 70's to low 80's and my garden gets full sun with some shade (mid-day) from the fence behind it. I am growing tomatoes (cherry, roma, and regular); okra, peppers (sweet, hot, and jabanero); strawberries; carrots, onions; peas; and beans int he raised bed but I am not sure they are doing ok. I fertilize them once a month with a Scott's 10-10-10 (granular) for vegetables and would like to start going organic but did this for ease in the beginning. I water every other day unless the dirt looks dry.

Two of my tomato plants (the ones with the most shade) are about a foot tall and look healthy but the rest of the plants are a light green to yellow look and are between 2" to 4" tall. I know the soil does not have nutrients in it and I have buried some compost between the rows to help the next seasons crops but I am lost. Why are my plants not growing? Is this normal or are they deficient in nutrients? DO they need more shade? Please help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, it is not normal, should be a lot bigger by now. Small slow growing and light green to yellow, definitely sounds like soil fertility problems and lack of nitrogen. I would not think the heat is a problem for any of it yet, except maybe the peas, which are a cool weather crop and tend to fizzle out as soon as it gets hot. The mid-day shade will be a big plus later on when you get to Texas summer.

Along with lots of compost, I would think the best thing you could do for your garden right now would be to find a source of composted (well-aged) manure and dig it around your plants.

reneeleann

Thank you. I need to water them today, so I will stop by a gardening place and get some manure and also a shade cloth that I can place over the crops to try to keep them cooler. I am thinking that I may switch to an organic liquid fertilizer that I can use to see if that helps as well.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

reneeleann,
I have buried some compost between the rows to help
What kind of compost :?: Was it finished :?: Compost can off gas and give you trouble in the root zone.

This is from Composting center. Here's the link https://www.compostinfo.com/tutorial/HowToUseIt.htm
Using unfinished compost as a soil amendment may stress plants, causing them to yellow or stalling their growth. This is because the decomposition process is continuing near the plant roots and the microorganisms in the compost are competing with the plants for nitrogen. You may want to compensate for this nitrogen imbalance by adding nitrogen fertilizer to soil applications of immature compost.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Hmm, it probably is a lack of nitrogen. However if you are getting very strong winds this will stop growth very quickly. The plants try to protect themselves by toughing up. If there are very high winds they don't get a chance to focus on growth.

For an organic fertilizer that has worked well for me get some bone meal, blood meal and some Kumbu (kelp -- you can grind this up in a spice grinder). Mix all those things together and feed it to your plants before you plant. However since you have planted just dig down a little and mix some in. Works great.

reneeleann

Thank you everyone. All these ideas are so helpful. The compost was not completed so that is a big possibility. Austin is also very windy this time of year but not enough that it should stall the growth since my berry plants, and vegetables in other areas of my yard are thriving. That is why I was so confused. How are my cucumbers, garlic, and spinach doing so well, but the raised bed looks pitiful. :oops: Thank you everyone.

jmoore

reneeleann wrote:Our days are high 70's to low 80's and my garden gets full sun with some shade (mid-day) from the fence behind it. I am growing tomatoes (cherry, roma, and regular); okra, peppers (sweet, hot, and jabanero); strawberries; carrots, onions; peas; and beans int he raised bed but I am not sure they are doing ok.
Wait until July-Aug-Sept when the LOW's are in the 90's. Then you'll have a whole other set of questions for everyone. :lol: I am only on year two with my Dallas garden, so I'm barely ahead of you as far as garden knowledge and soil composition.

I started 6 tomato plants this winter and put four out. Two of them are doing fine, although slow growing. Two others in another bed pretty much stalled at the 3" tall leggy stage. They are yellow and sad looking. I think I'm going to have to sacrifice them soon to be able to get some life into the soil if they don't perk up. I don't think they will.

As a new gardener I can feel your pain. Try not to get frustrated. My first post on this forum was about my cukes not pollinating. I was ready to turn the entire garden under after two months.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I agree, there is probably a lack of nutrients. Your tomatoes should have gotten bigger by now. Now, in addition to adding some well-rotten manure, I'd also suggest that you build up your soil's microbial community by adding some compost tea. Just look for the "ACT" sticky in the "Organic Gardening" form. Read the whole thread and you'll be amazed with what you learn.

reneeleann

Thank you so much. I found the tea recipe and I am also going to start some homemade organic fertilizer and fish emulsion. And to the Dallas gardener, our days are getting hotter already and I am not looking forward to tending the garden in 104 degree weather with no wind. Thank you for all the support, local and distant. Although more challenging than I imagined, I find this hobby to be so relaxing and fulfilling.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”