rkunsaw

Kelly_Guy,I'm sure glad you started this post.I'm getting a lot of ideas to try next year.Thanks.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Hispoptart wrote:Both plants are cucurbits, if the daddy was the the cantolope and the mommy was a heirloom cucumber (which it was ) Then yes viable seeds can be produced, I will let a couple of my volenteers grow to see if they may be one again this year, but other then that this will be a 2 year project, and you may soon after that see them in your grocerie store :)
It might! In grocery stores just if they store well, but if they are delicious, maybe you can sell seed to seed companies and we will buy them. :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

hispoptart,

Can you please give me the name of the cucumber and the name of the melon you grew. I want to look them up to see if they are F1 Hybrids.

If anything, you have a F2 Hybrid seed.
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Sun May 09, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Some information on F1 Hybrids and the source it came from :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_hybrid

[quote]Production of F1 hybrids
[edit] In plants
Crossing two genetically different plants produces a hybrid seed (plant) by means of controlled pollination. To produce consistent F1 hybrids, the original cross must be repeated each season. As in the original cross, in plants this is usually done through controlled hand-pollination, and explains why F1 seeds can often be expensive. F1 hybrids can also occur naturally, a prime example being peppermint, which is not a species evolved by cladogenesis or gradual change from a single ancestor, but a sterile stereotyped hybrid of watermint and spearmint. Unable to produce seeds, it propagates through the vining spread of its own root system.

In agronomy, the term “F1 hybridâ€

Hispoptart

I don't remember the name but when I go to get the plants next week I will let you know as long as the have the same ones. I know the cucumber was a bush variety.

Kelly_Guy

rkunsaw wrote:Kelly_Guy,I'm sure glad you started this post.I'm getting a lot of ideas to try next year.Thanks.
:) Me too! Thanks to all who have replied...a lot of fun ideas.

I will add one to the list, though I am not sure how uncommon it is. A friend gave me a rainbow tomato plant. Based one what I read, the tomatoes can be different colors on each plot from orange to pink to red and be very large. The Amish grow them according to the article.

Kelly

applestar
Mod

I posted a list on [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133007#133007]this thread[/url], that I just realized are mostly kind of unusual varieties of vegs.

Of these, I grew Cherokee Long Ear popcorn last year. I never put as much work into growing corn as I should, so mine might have been just smaller, but the kernels popped up to 1/2 the size of store-bought popcorn. However, the flavor is nuttier and superior. Attractive red/violet-streaked plants and tassles/silks. Also grew the Burgundy Red Okra -- beautiful mahogany red plants with yellow flowers. I'm not a real fan of okra as a veg, but I liked it. Last year's colorful potato was Red Cranberry -- gorgeous purplish dark green foliage and sweet lilac colored flowers. I'm hoping for a similar show from these other ones. Grew Azuki beans two years ago -- yellow pods for a nice contrast.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”