BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Protecting Onions From Very High Winds

Hey guys, just was wondering if anyone has a good idea to protect onion plants. Right now they are pretty tender and have just started shooting up fairly high. However these days with these strong guests of 42mph are really taking their toll on them. As there greens are being bent (not all but some). I have walls o water, but I can't put them around every onion plant. I was wondering if I could weave wire in-between each of them to sort of hold them in place. Last year I didn't get very big onions due to the stupid winds in the spring. :shock: :cry:

Especially if you live in the plains, tell me what you do to protect your veg.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Yep,

I've got some tall onions laying over from the 45 mph winds the other day. Most of them already had flower buds anyhow so they were going to be eaten soon. Once they are broken over, I don't think anything can help them grow larger. I guess you could make a string trellis and weave the onions into the string as they grow. I simply have never seen the need to since we eat them or give them away when they break over.

Ted

farmerlon
Green Thumb

BrianSkilton wrote:I was wondering if I could weave wire in-between each of them to sort of hold them in place.
That may work, but it might be frustrating and tedious to do it. Also, if the wind causes the plants to rub against the string or wire, that may do a lot of additonal damage to the plants.

I received a bunch of old windows after placing a "want ad" on Freecycle. In the spring and early summer, we usually get some really strong winds from the South. So, I propped those windows up along the South side of my tomato cages, and they have done of superb job of keeping my tomatoes from being blown to bits.

I've been working on developing more windbreaks around my garden perimeter, and I have several "screen"projects growing... with trees, shrubs, and living fences. But, until those have filled in better, those old windows have been a blessing.

Anything to block the wind around your Onion bed, might be easier and quicker to set in place (easier than weaving string or wire).

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up taking some full tile that I had left over and made rows with the tile. Looks kind of funny but it does the job while they are still small (I hope). I'll maybe post some quick pictures.

applestar
Mod

Maybe you could set up a snow fence? I don't think it has to be right next to the row. (I'm envisioning an illustration for a windbreak and another on fence design regarding how and where they break up the wind and cause eddies) They could be rolled up and away when not needed.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Applestar thats a pretty good idea, I'm going to have to check into that. Where can you purchase such a thing? Hardware store maybe? Would the wooden ones be just as good?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”