Janet Kleinert
Newly Registered

fertilizing

I put fertilizer in when I planted my tomatoes, bell pepper and cukes. The bag said to fertilize in 10 days. But it did not say after that how often to fertilize. Can you tell me?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

We will need a little more information on fert. being used. Be careful on the nitrogen, you'll get huge plants and low harvest.

Janet Kleinert
Newly Registered

I purchased an organic fertilizer.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Janet, throw me a bone. :? What are the numbers NPK. Quick release, slow release. :D

Janet Kleinert
Newly Registered

3-4-4 It says 2.2% slow release nitrogen.

scot29
Cool Member

If it's an organic granular fertilizer, most products I've seen recommend to side dress every 30 days during the growing season. So, depending on the crop, this would be 0 to 3 side dressings. Keep the fertilizer a few inches from the stem & work it into the soil as best you can. Again, this is for a granular fertilizer. I don't have much experience with liquid fertilizers, but much of what I'll say is still relevant.
Aside from how long they take to mature, another factor is their feeding requirements. Some plants require more nutrients than others. For example, radish is a fast grower & a very light feeder. They don't require any special preparation or fertilizer. Many veggies are moderate to heavy feeders that need a good soil rich in compost and/or manure. They also like additional fertilizer throughout their growing season. Pick up a growing guide, or search the internet to find out what each plant's nutritional needs are.
Like DDFarm mentioned, be very careful about adding too much nitrogen, especially before they begin to flower. Like he said, you'll get big plants w/ little production.
Just to get you started...
Tomatoes: Heavy feeders. Side dress. Watch the nitrogen.
Bell Peppers: Moderate feeders. Wait until fruit set to side dress.
Cukes: Heavy feeders. Side dress.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Be careful of some of those "organic" fertilizers. Some are better than others while some of them are worse. It's a good idea to so some research of store-bought fertilizers before you use any extensively.

Well, organic is better than inorganic, anyway.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”