dubele

Bean/Pea Support

I planted pole beans and peas in a single 10 foot row (5 feet of each). They are starting to grow and I should get supports up. I googled everything and I think I like the idea of pounding in some rebar and placing 3/4 PVC or conduit piping over the top of the rebar. I will then put some netting up.

Where can you get netting locally and at a reasonable price?

Thanks,
Doug

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

peas will easily go three feet high, all the pole beans I've done go 6 feet +

I use scavenged tree branches to make a trip0d - but that's a bit late on advice as you've got them in rows.

if you can manage a top pole (across the uprights) plain ole baling twine dangled down also works. has an advantage - at the end of the season just chuck it all in the compost heap.

plastic netting is a pain to clean out at the end of the season - for 'need right now' you might check out the plastic net fencing at home centers. probably won't need the pvc over the rebar - doesn't really add any strength or stability.

rkunsaw

I use a cattle panel tied to a 'T' post at each end.

dubele

Dillbert,

I can do an upright with a top pole and dangle some bailing twine down.....I have seen this and it looks to good to be true.....my concern is that the beans and peas won't be able to "grab on" to the twine unless the twine is place exactly over the peas/beans. Do I need a bottom support....like a stake at each plant to tie the twine to.....or will the plants be able to "find" the twine?

applestar
Mod

One way that works for me is to tie the ends to approx 6" sticks and push the sticks in the soil near the peas and beans. Once they grab on, they can anchor the strings down themselves.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>too good to be true

nope, works like a charm. vining crops will grab onto most anything - mono filament fishing line might be a challenge.

you don't need one string per plant. they'll reach out and touch their neighbors. that said, without question you'll have a couple of sprouts that 'go west' and you'll have to lead them back to the string.

as for holding them down - imagination reigns. all you need to do is keep the twine from blowing around / away with the wind. metal pins, rocks, 2x3, dead tree branches, whatever - trap the cut ends under something to stabilize them until the vines start climbing. I have a bunch of half-inch steel rod left over from ancient projects. it's rusty, it's nasty, but it does hold down a whole row of strings . . . .

Hispoptart

We use 3 wood stakes about 3ft high for our peas, space them and pound them into the soil a few inches, then tie some string around the first one wrap tightly around second one the tie tightly to the 3rd one. as the peas grow we just add another string. Usally about 3 hight will do.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”