RuHappy69

When to start thinning?

I have peppers, Eggplant and spinach seedlings (cucumbers took a very bad hit earlier). Question: at what point do I start thinning the heard? They are all about an inch to 1.5 inches high. I don't want a sudden die off because I waited too long. Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Are they in the ground or indoors, in pots or what?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

All three of those transplant very easily. I can never bring myself to purely thin, though neither do I over seed too much. For spinach, kale, swiss chard and similar plants, lift and separate individual plants, then replant spaced further apart. Mine rarely even wilt.

Tomatoes and egg plant, I would lift a few extras and place them in nursery containers and hold them at least for a few weeks for possible replacements. They as well should not miss a beat as they get moved at a young age, especially if placed in semi shade for a day or two.

If things are really so crowded that some near to be destroyed, taking scissors and snipping the extras will avoid the possibility of disturbing the roots of the retained plant. IMO that can be done any time, and probably the earlier the better, so as to avoid competition between the crowded plants.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

If it were me I would let them get a little bigger. And like Alex said I find it hard to actually thin I like to try and pick them out carefully and replant somewhere in the yard with fairly good success. How thickly are they planted is another thing.

Of course that above is if they are outside. If the are starters inside I'm trying to be more brutal and thin as needed.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Peppers and Eggplant: Well, if they are packed in thik...and I mead thick, I'd say to do a partial thinning now, and then thin the rest once the true leaves develop and you can see which ones are the weakest and strongest.

Spinach: give it a little more time and then thin them out and use the thinnings as salad greens.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”