Lunacy
Cool Member

Who grows or knows about Wax Bush Beans? Help

I planted some directly into the ground and they came up just fine. Now they are about four inches tall and one has broken because of the wind. But all are starting to lean.

Is it time to stake them already? They don't look leggy to me but I don't really know. I thought they would grow into a bush but they are looking like vines to me, help needed.

GardenJester

Bush is a technical term, it doesn't mean the plant would grow to be a freestanding, self supporting bush, it just means the plant won't grow very big. You still need to provide trellis support.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

I usually do "Brittle Wax" (Burpee variety) - and have not needed to stake or trellis them.

Lunacy
Cool Member

Thanks GardenJester, Dillbert you threw me for a loop, I'm new and know nothing. I thought "brittle wax" was some kind of wax that made the stalk harder so I went to ebay to find it! Then I Googled it and found it's another wax bean! :shock:

LOL!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm growing purple queen and Pencil pod bush beans. No stakes or trellis needed. Not wax beans, but bush varieties.

applestar
Mod

I find that the bush beans start falling over when they're loaded with beans -- they just kind of lean on each other until then. Now what did I do last year...?

Oh, I just found some branches of the right size with some spreading side branches out of the stick pile and stuck them in the ground to keep the beans off the ground -- mostly because the slugs were finding it easier to find them that way. I suppose you could also use sticks/stakes in 4 corners with string tied at strategic levels all around and criss-crossed, or those folding wire border fences.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”