shaefins

They were planted in a raised bed. I went all through the rows they were planted in and found....nothing! No sign I'd planted *anything* there. The soil wasn't disturbed, so I don't think critters got to them. No clue what happened. Maybe it was a bad batch? I might try germinating some in a wet paper towel just to see if anything happens. If they do show some life, I'll toss some back in the bed and see what happens.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

shaefins wrote:They were planted in a raised bed. I went all through the rows they were planted in and found....nothing! No sign I'd planted *anything* there.
You mean all the seeds just disappeared? When you tried to dig them up, they weren't there? Assuming birds or critters didn't get them, the only thing I can think is that they stayed to wet and just rotted away to nothing...

applestar
Mod

As pea seeds (corn, bean, etc.) push out of the soil, birds -- especially blackbirds and grackles -- will yank them out. Robins sometimes pull them out too though they won't eat them -- I'm guessing they look like they might be worms.

My peas, as I mentioned, kept popping out (though I really think they were doing it on their own due to compacted soil. If I wasn't out there pushing them back in the ground, some bird or animal would have made off with the sprouted peas.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”