Solomonsgardens
Newly Registered

What is the cheapest way to keep chipmunks out of my gardens

Hi! What is the cheapest, (and natural) way to keep chipmunks from digging in my gardens? Cayenne pepper doesn't deter them.
Thanks.
Debby

oldbiker
Newly Registered

This is by no means the cheapest, but I thought I'd throw it in for what ever its worth. My vegetable garden is surrounded by a three rail vinyl fence. On the outside of the vinyl fence I attached a four foot high welded wire fence which has 1" X 2" squares. The welded wire fence goes from the ground to the third rail. At the top of the welded wire fence, about 2 inches higher, I attached a high voltage wire from an electrical fence generator. This is expensive, but it sure is effective. I live in rural Arkansas and there are lots of critters here. Never had one problem since I installed the fences. From a distance, the welded wire fence blends in and cannot be seen very well, so it looks nice

Solomonsgardens
Newly Registered

Hi! Thanks for your suggestion. I don't think my husband would be eager to use that method, but I'm glad to know about the method or any other for my future. Because I never know - whatever I hear on this may be later be methods I could be possibly be enabled to try out in the future. I do lots of gardening. And have hopes of doing great things with it in the future, if all works out as I wish and hope.
Bye.
Debby

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”