serial_killer

115 day old huge Romanesco Broccoli wont flower

I think I am having some problems with my Romanesco Broccoli, I posted a while back but everyone said just wait and up-pot if possible so I did manage to re-pot from 3 gallon nursery pots into 3 and 5 gallon buckets. Is there anything I can do to help induce flowering? I thought it should only take 85 days? There is no sign of a head at all, they just keep growing leaves.

[img]https://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq247/1badv8dime/SNC00329.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq247/1badv8dime/SNC00330.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq247/1badv8dime/SNC00331.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

That's a hugh plant, Killer. I'm think excess nitrogen. :idea: You may just have to eat the leaves :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Don't laugh about eating the leaves. They're delicious! I had some romanesco growing in Fall 2008, and (before DH started complaining about too much fresh organic cooking :x) I gathered kale, romanesco, chard, spinach, and such leaves and sautéed them all together.

I used a knife and cut them off the plant almost at the base of each leaf's stem. No sense in all of your effort not being rewarded by a meal or three! :D

Cynthia H.

applestar
Mod

:idea: So may be some tomato fertilizer for the next dose?

I ate most of the caulflower and Romanesco leaves after harvesting the heads last year. Delicious! :D

serial_killer

Excess Nitrogen was my fear, they were fed with 12-0-0 bone meal in the soil as well as being watered with water from my fish tank every time. I think I'm going to keep waiting and see what happens, at least with the big one anyway (the little ones are by no means small plants, they just look small next to the one) Maybe I can get it like 4 feet tall.

Thanks

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Oops, no Phosphorous for the flower development :( What type of soil did you start with :?:

Well, it looks like a wonderful Collard. Enjoy

soil
Greener Thumb

looks like you might end up with a huge head of broccoli.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am with soil, just water it and it will make a head when it is ready, and it will be a big one.

serial_killer

DoubleDog- the soil is Fox Farm Ocean Forest amended only with fox farm "peace of mind" Bone meal like I mentioned already.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I believe an OD on Nitrogen. This is a tip right from their web site.

The ultimate potting soil—everything your plants need, in one bag. Ocean Forest® is a powerhouse blend of premium earthworm castings, bat guano, and Pacific Northwest sea-going fish and crab meal. Composted forest humus, sandy loam, and sphagnum peat moss give Ocean Forest® its light, aerated texture. Start with Ocean Forest® and watch your plants come alive!

Garden tip: Perfect for containers and ready to use right out of the bag. Ocean Forest® is pH adjusted at 6.3 to 6.8 to allow for optimum fertilizer uptake. There’s no need for nitrogen fertilizers at first; instead try an organic blend like FoxFarm Big Bloom™ Liquid Plant Food to encourage strong branching and a sturdy, healthy growth habit.

Even they are suggesting Phosphorous

Like others have suggested, don't give up, a broccoli head the size of a basket ball is around the bend. :shock:

serial_killer

Thanks again, I didnt even use the bone meal at first, but I was noticing the leaves turning yellow and then eventually purple, a sign I diagnosed as a Calcium problem and bone meal added in at a up-pot fixed that.

Wait it out I will.

marcia

Hi
I can't help you much but I am really interested in your plants
I have 18 ready to go to the garden. I started them 2nd wk of march. I have them in plastic cups under a light and I'm really surprized at the root developement. I grew regular broccoli last year and their roots weren't anything like these guys.I think these guys could really take up some space :D . I haven't tasted one yet so I'm really looking forward to trying it. keep use posted please

serial_killer

I will be sure to keep you updated.

I have family in Traverse city.

marcia

Thanks :lol: I have a sister that lives in pataskala ohio. nice little town

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”