garden5
Super Green Thumb

Can I grow squash vines out, into lawn?

Since I am a little pressed for space in the garden, I had an idea: could I grow the plants on the edge of the garden and have the vines grow out into the yard? I could just move them before the grass gets cut and should be able to keep them from getting too tangled if I keep an eye on them.

One thing I know is that by moving them, they will not be able to set down roots into the soil. However, I've seen where people have grown squash up a trellis with no nutrition problems.

So, do you think it will work?

Kelly_Guy

There could be issues I don't know about, but I have let cucumber and cantaloupe vines trail out some without any problems.

Kelly

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The hollow stems may break if moved to many times.

Farmer Bob

Hi garden 5. I usually trellis my loofah, bitter gourd . But heavier fruit like butternut or pumpkins or winter melon, I allow to run on lawn . However, what I do is to lay branches on the lawn to allow the vines grown on top them so that any fruit is kept from contact with the ground . This prevents possible rotting from contact with wet earth . It's worked for me.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, you can let them run on the lawn. Do be careful if you move them. The vines can be broken or damaged as has been said. You can direct the direction the vine grows. You can also trim it to length when you get a fruit or two set on.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sure you can but there will be grass and maybe weeds growing up through them.

But that is good way to make some more space. I'm in the same spot. trying to find more room.

scot29
Cool Member

I do this every year with my pumpkins. I plant them on the edge & train the vine to run where I want it. As it grows, I move the last three or four feet of the vine, and allow the rest to root. I leave enough space between the vine and the edge of the garden so I can get in there with a weed whacker. I also just let the pumpkins sit on the ground, and I haven't had a rotten one in the three years I've done this. Knock on wood :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, guys!

So, too much moving of the vines is a "No". I'm thinking that, in substitute of mowing the area, I could just go in with some sheers and hand-cut the grass when it gets high. Will all of the leaves shade-out and kill the grass?

Here is another suggestion: could I have the squash vines growing in, amongst the bush-plant mounds. I'm not talking about having them be planted in the same mound, I'm just thinking about having the vines go into that area.

What do you think about this one?

scot29
Cool Member

garden5 wrote:Thanks, guys!
So, too much moving of the vines is a "No". I'm thinking that, in substitute of mowing the area, I could just go in with some sheers and hand-cut the grass when it gets high. Will all of the leaves shade-out and kill the grass?
I can answer this part from my experience. The leaves don't kill the grass, but the vine itself does "kill" the grass. Not enough to do any real damage, but you will have a line of matted yellow/brown grass when you pull the vine up. In my experience the grass comes right back.
The grass around the vines & leaves will get very tall if allowed to do so. Trying to control it with shears would be so tedious. If you have access to a weed whacker, this is really the tool for the job imho. Get in there ninja style & tame that grass! :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

scot29 wrote:
I can answer this part from my experience. The leaves don't kill the grass, but the vine itself does "kill" the grass. Not enough to do any real damage, but you will have a line of matted yellow/brown grass when you pull the vine up. In my experience the grass comes right back.
The grass around the vines & leaves will get very tall if allowed to do so. Trying to control it with shears would be so tedious. If you have access to a weed whacker, this is really the tool for the job imho. Get in there ninja style & tame that grass! :D
I'd be worried that the weed-whacker would cut a vine sine I plan on having quit a few in there. I was thinking about perhaps spacing the plants a foot apart in a row and then just having the vines to straight out, sound good?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

scot29 wrote:
I'd be worried that the weed-whacker would cut a vine sine I plan on having quit a few in there. I was thinking about perhaps spacing the plants a foot apart in a row and then just having the vines to straight out, sound good?

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about the grass. As long as it doesn't get killed permanently, I don't care.

scot29
Cool Member

Your OP said you were somewhat pressed for space, so I assume your row would be on the edge & you're still thinking of having your vines grow onto the lawn? In that case, that might be too many vines to weed whack around. Keep in mind that each vine will spawn several offshoot vines, maybe 3-5 or more.
If you haven't gotten your seeds or seedlings yet, you might want to look into semi-bush varieties. These are great for conserving space. The main plant is a bush, and most of the fruit stays close to the plant. Later it develops several fruit-bearing vines, but they are much shorter than a standard vine variety.
Hope this helps.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, That helps a lot :D. I've never come across a semi-bush variety, so will have to look into that one.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”