garden5
Super Green Thumb

Peppers flowering under lights, should I worry?

I have some pepper seedlings growing under lights that are about 8 weeks old and about 4 in. tall. I just noticed that each of the hot banana seedlings is sending out a but. It is only these plants, is this normal?

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

No problem, just pick them off...you don't want them setting fruit yet. This will help them grow a healthy root system.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

BrianSkilton wrote:No problem, just pick them off...you don't want them setting fruit yet. This will help them grow a healthy root system.
I'm wondering if they'd even be able to set fruit since my light is only blue-spectrum. I'd think that they'd need at least some red-spectrum light to fruit. But, if that's what you say, off with the flowers it is.

Thanks for your reply.

malkore
Cool Member

peppers (and tomatoes) flower based on photo period, not red/blue like other plants.

You can grow peppers indoors with a cheap metal halide (tons of blue peaks, very low red light) and they get very veg'd out and also produce tons of good peppers.

serial_killer

Actually now-a-days most peppers and tomatoes flower based only on age, most of the photo period dependent plants are heirloom, just about all hybrids that you find today are ever-bearing. I have 2 peppers flowering under lights right now, my Jolokias and my Thai Hots (#1 and 2 hottest in the world) are both in full bloom under constant 6400K spectrum lights, they go outside during the day for full spectrum but come in before sundown.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

serial_killer wrote:Actually now-a-days most peppers and tomatoes flower based only on age, most of the photo period dependent plants are heirloom, just about all hybrids that you find today are ever-bearing. I have 2 peppers flowering under lights right now, my Jolokias and my Thai Hots (#1 and 2 hottest in the world) are both in full bloom under constant 6400K spectrum lights, they go outside during the day for full spectrum but come in before sundown.
How big are the containers that you are growing you plants in? Mine are in cells like those 6-packs you get flowers in and starting to get root-bound. Will this kill/hamper the plant's growth? Also, by buhts are much smaller than my other peppers, is this normal?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

G5 definitely put them in bigger pots or move outside. Those cell packs are way too small to grow big plants in . I would bet they are root bound and want some room.

I'm sure you have something laying around even a sour cream container or something.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I hear ya, Gix, but my problem is that I don't have the lighting necessary to keep them all illuminated if I move up to bigger pots. Being closer together in those small cells allows me to be able to keep them all under the lights.

Well, I guess I will have to figure something out. Thanks for letting me know :).

RyanDe680
Cool Member

My peppers are flowering as well.

I am planting my garden outside this friday, and as I plant them in their spots in the garden, I'll just pick the flowers off. I don't want the plant to expound energy on the flower and not on the root system after the transplant....

But the thought of fresh peppers.... yummy...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”