RuHappy69

planted today - need some advise

I'm in zone 6. Planted my broccoli, squash, basil, parsley and pole beans. Couldn't find my seed package for the squash but planted them about a foot apart. Is that enough? I planted 10 squash, about a dozen beans and about 8 broccoli. Squash is on one side of the garden, brocc on the other and the beans in the back along my home made trellis from last year. When its all in I'd like to take a pic and show the experts.

GardenJester

I think the recommanded way to plant squash, is 3-5 seeds at 1" deep per hill(about a 12" high, and 2' across). Then thin to 3 plant per hill. 6' between hills, maybe less if you train it up a trellis.

RuHappy69

hills.. My garden is flat. Maybe that is a mistake? I planted them from seedlings so they are now about 2 inches high so I transplanted them. Is a foot apart per plant good?

applestar
Mod

What kind of squash is it? Summer squash as in yellow squash, zucchini, that sort of thing? There ARE bush varieties and vining varieties. You're going to need at least 2 feet spacing between each plant, more like 3 feet, I think. You'll also need at least 4~5 feet for the vine to grow, more like 6 feet. You'll be able to control the direction the vine grows to a certain point, but it's difficult due to all the prickles and the hollow brittle stems.

I suspect that you're going to end up thinning to every other one at the very least, but you might just plan on keeping 3 out of the 10. Are they all same variety? ... because from all accounts, 3 would be more than enough if all goes well.

If you're talking winter squash, the vines grow a lot longer....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”