Solomonsgardens
Newly Registered

How often should I water seeds in poor, sandy soil?

Hi! How often should I water seeds I plant in my poor, sandy soil that doesn't hold moisture as long as richer soil? Shouldn't soil be kept always damp or close to damp until seedlings come up? Or should I allow the soil to dry out completely, in between times?
Debby

Ironman1079

keep it moist at all times, atleast that is what I do and mine grows ok.

Solomonsgardens
Newly Registered

Hi! Thank you so much for your advice and example of how often you have watered your seeds!
I am going to experiment - it might be a good idea for me to place a piece of cloth or etc. on planted seeds until they sprout and come up. Since the soil here is so hard to keep moist all the time.
Bye.
Debby

Ironman1079

Solomonsgardens wrote:Hi! Thank you so much for your advice and example of how often you have watered your seeds!
I am going to experiment - it might be a good idea for me to place a piece of cloth or etc. on planted seeds until they sprout and come up. Since the soil here is so hard to keep moist all the time.
Bye.
Debby
absolutley, or get one of the plastic covers that will keep the moisture in.
after 2nd thought I read your post wrong. as far as watering seeds. if no cover on them, I would water them everyday, but with a cover on, they will stay moist for longer so I would say every other day or maybe even every 4 days. you just have to look at the soil. also, my seeds were started inside.

I was starting everything from seed well over a month ago now, so now everything is in the garden outside and with no rain now for days, I water it every night and sometimes in the mornings also.

best of luck.......

Solomonsgardens
Newly Registered

Hi! Thanks for the added bit of advice, too! I can hardly wait to try it out!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”