Kelly_Guy

Planting bells too close to hot peppers?

Does anyone have a feeling for how close is to close? My previous attempts at growing sweet bells were dismal, but I'm trying again. Along with bells, I am planting pepperocini, anaheim, and banana peppers. They are all fairly mild, but wondering if I should not plant them all in the same bed. Any thoughts?

Kelly

kgall

You shouldn't have a problem with having them in the same bed unless you are saving seeds. That is when cross pollination would appear.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I don't think you would have a problem. I grow the same ones. And even if the bell peppers did cross, what would it hurt? You might get a slightly spicy bell, it could be great! I would save seeds to see if you managed to get them to cross.

And you could always bag a few on each plant to get pure seeds, just be sure to bag the flower bud, before it opens. Nightshade plants are self fertile, they don't require bugs to pollinate them.

I regularly use the other peppers in recipes calling for one or the other. So, a cross would not become an issue for me.
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

Kelly_Guy

Thanks gardeners. I knew a true crossing wouldn't be an issue unless I was saving seeds, but I keep reading don't plant them close together without reasons why.

I am making singapore rice noodle tonight...wish I had some home grown bells for it now!

Kelly

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Crossing is the only reason. "No heat" is a recessive trait so if you do get a cross you will tend to get the full heat of the hot plant parent in the offspring.

Why do you read here and there not to plant them together? The same reason you read that you must plant by the phase of the moon and that basil will make tomatoes taste better if you plant them together. There is a lot of out-dated and erroneous gardening wisdom that keeps getting republished.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have planted sweet bell peppers, banana peppers and hot peppers in the same row and got hot bell peppers and hot banana peppers. If your planting mild hot peppers then it might not be much of a problem. If you plant your hot pepper at the other end of your garden away from the bells and bananas it should be fine.

Where in the world did you find pepperocini peppers? I have never been able to find plants or seeds.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”