athomas718
Newly Registered

When to Transplant

Hello,
So I have my green beans (and almost all my other plants) in biodegradable peat pots.

The green beans tap root is coming out of the bottom, and I'm worried that they aren't going to get the nutrients they need, or that it is going to damage the root some how. Is that a silly worry?

I want to transplant them, but it's still not a consist 70 minimum in the day and 60 at night, and I don't want them to get hurt by the temps.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Can I possible wait a little longer without hurting the root system or the plant, or should I go ahead with the transplant and not worry about the weather.

Thanks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are careful with the hardening off, it sounds like they could definitely go out in that kind of weather. I put my tomatoes and peppers in the ground a couple weeks ago and we've still been having nights in the 40's some times.

Be sure you get those peat pots OFF of them before you plant. They are not actually biodegradable in any reasonable sense of the term. If you plant in the pots, by the end of the season the pot will still be there, smothering the roots and the plant will likely be dead. Just cut them off with scissors and throw them in compost pile. In the middle of the compost pile, they will eventually break down.

athomas718
Newly Registered

Thanks! :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”